Fibreglass electric fan shroud custom build

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone,

PLEASE PLEASE, PLEASE

DO NOT COMMENT OR POST IN THIS THREAD!!!!

I am working on this slowly and would like to complete the project without having to answer questions here in the build thread.

If you have questions/suggestions PM me or start a thread about the build thread, I'm going to attempt a very special thread here so bear with me in this thread. It will be slow, I may have video as well as my usual photo documentry.

Once complete I'll open it or add to it as needed or one of the Mod's can close it, it really just needs to be kept clean so I can track it and build it chronolgically as best I can,

Thanks everyone for listening.....

Now without further ado....here goes what I am planning as a build

Oh one thing, A special THANK YOU Colin, to my son for providing me the foam for this build! Love you son!

First you will notice I have a tall narrow rad and some various electric fans. My goal is to make a completely custom blank fan shroud that can be used to add electric fans at will.

I have some fans I'll be making my own personal setup with and if this goes as I hope it does, I can offer blank fiberglass shrouds for sale. Just follow along the build, if you wish to duplicate it do so, or wait until I'm completed my own and inquire about purchases of said shrouds.

If this goes as well as I hope, and if there was enough interest, I could easily duplicate this for the short wide rad as well so as to not leave out those folks whom have those rads if they indeed would like electric fan setups.

I won't be adding in the fans, that's the end users responsibility, however this thread will clearly show you how and how easy it can be.

My experience in glass is varied and quite deep. Everything from large scale production to custom hand built stuff. Custom one off tools for a variety of companies to large scale mould and plug work for mostly canopies but other products as well.

I hope you all enjoy this thread and this build.

Here we begin, a rad...on the ground...waiting and ready for more!
You must be registered for see images

This is the basic fan shroud on the rad as seen by the fan...not much but it's a functional part none the less..

Basic fan shroud on the plywood base for marking the dimensions and outline

My stores of several different electric fans, two of which look like worthy parts to add to this build...you'll see!

A Ford Taurus fan setup IIRC I really cannot remember I do however remember saving it for this purpose!!! A little small on size IMHO I like the setup but just too small

Late model Chevy pu 5.7 or there bouts gasser engine fan I cannot say it was sitting there RIPE for the picking..cost $20.00, this is more like it. Larger, but too large to fit well. hmmm....more to come...

Here I have for sake of the picture, added one on top of the other in a staggered fashion, a setup I am considering seriously making when I build the glass shroud. I like the idea of one fan of each of the two fans I pictured.

Aback side shot of the two different fans I hope to use.

Here is the outline of the shroud on the plywood base which will be the start of my plug (tooling) to make a mould from!

This is where things start to get good, this styrofoam on the rad is the core for which I'll shape and modify to fit and make the tool from. This is the first time I've used this type of bead foam for a tool however I have used other foam. The trick will be to not have the styro melt when I start the glassing.

First fit of the styro on the plywood

Realizing that the foam only needs to be as wide as the actual rad, I cut it down and now you can see the shroud mount tabs the radiator has on it for the factory shroud.

Here is the slightly smaller foam on the board. I'll be hot gluing it to the board once I do some final measuring and test fit of the stock shroud and rad in the truck.

Now I have to finish my rad support swap in order to continue with some test fitting of the stock rad and that shroud. I have to determine if that notch is really required or not.

Once that is determined, I'll either ADD the notch or I'll be keeping the shroud as a full rectangle.

I'm considering adding in flaps like the euro shrouds but that is yet to be determined. There will be plenty of options for fans/flaps and so forth once this gets truly underway.

Again please do not post in here I'll add as I go along

Thanks for reading

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online