>>> FAN SOLUTION FOR YOU FORD GUYS <<<

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got finished installing a little jewel that I had been searching for for several years; a direct-drive fan-hub and mating standard bolt-pattern blades.

I was browsing Flex-a-Lite, looking for something else, when I stumbled on these direct-drive fan-hub adapters that do indeed fit the 6BT Cummins.

When I installed the Cummins in my Ford, I kept the huge Ford diesel radiator; and, the stock Dodge/Cummins clutch-fan would occasionally kiss my shiny new radiator, leaving a copper-colored circular ring where the blades had tipped.

Seeing as how no one has yet built a fan-clutch that actually works, instead of the fan just coasting along at about 1/10 the speed that it should, I have been in the habit of always pinning any fan-clutch to make it direct-drive.

I made some measurements and decided on fan-blade #1819 19.5 diameter and the direct-drive hub #852.

SUMMIT had this stuff in stock.

I just finished the install and now I have a good inch-and-a-half between the blades and radiator. :thumbsup:

I set the throttle at about 1800 and the new fan is sucking like the eye of a hurricane.

I held a sheet of typing-paper about six-feet in front of the truck and it sucked flat against the grille. ;Sweet

This six-blade fan seems to outperform the pinned seven-blade by a long shot.

Now I am gonna fabricate an easily removable shroud as I have been running shroudless ever since the engine swap.

With a shroud, that thing should be wicked. :backoff

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM sent requesting more info - I couldn't find Flex-A-Lite part number 1819. This may be a very promising discovery for me.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Nice. Good find. I like direct drive fans.

Some members here seemed to hate them, and said the vibrations of a Diesel would cause the blades to eventually fly off... I don't believe that.
I had one on my chevy 6.2, never had a problem with it.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also need to see pics. this could revolutionize the way i go about my cummins conversion if it saved you that kind of space. very glad you posted this!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
In another post, I think he stated that standing 6' in front of the truck, dropping a sheet of paper, the fan will suck it against the grill.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
In another post, I think he stated that standing 6' in front of the truck, dropping a sheet of paper, the fan will suck it against the grill.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Yeah I saw that but I have still yet to see pictures of the setup lol. I'd like to see how it all looks.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody using a direct drive fan is throwing away 10 to 15 hp, maybe more. Thats why they are made. EVERY cop car, ambulance, etc i
has used one forever, until they went to electric for that very reason, so they DO work fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online