Fan clutch question???

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to test the fan clutch to see if its operating properly? Stupid question maybe but I'm just curious. I have read on here more than once that you can feel the power loss when it kicks in but I never feel anything of that sort or hear a sound change. Mine just seems to spin with what ever rpm the motor is turning. Is that normal?

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, get rid of it and go with e fans. I haven't had too much luck with the macanicle fan. It would only come on at idle and turn off once the RPM raised.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
basically,just block off the rad with cardboard to force it to come up to temp.somewhere around 235-245 she should lock up and ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too got rid of my clutch fan after the second water pump. I have never heard mine kick on. You could probably remove it and heat it up with a torch to see thst it grabs.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
They really are high wear items. And the thing is, they wear out sloooooowly. When I had my idi I replaced a 200,000 mile old one that seemed like it was a working unit. The new one made a HUGE difference in audible sound, and keeping coolant temps in check under heavy load.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically,just block off the rad with cardboard to force it to come up to temp.somewhere around 235-245 she should lock up and ROAR!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

Well **** that would be why it never activates. I never see 235 on my temp gauge. It bounces up and down between 190-200. Never seen it any higher before. I don't work the truck like a lot of you guys do. It's just my daily driver to and from work.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine stays at 185 on the dot unless Im going up a hill with a big load even then it'll never get near 230. It would fluctuate before I installed the motorcraft thermostat.

mbarry98

Reaction score
You should be able to spin the fan by hand and that would be unlocked it will be really loud when it's locked in. I just replaced mine because it was constantly locked in. There is a good YouTube video someone made that you can hear the difference between locked and unlocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys need some hills and a good load.

Op there is a rebuild thread somewhere here ( search rc car oil)
There is a huge difference tween fords oem fan unit 'and vatozone's china mart part.
So far nowhere ....I have read about electric fans out doing the factory fan for heavy duty work.
If ya just hunt fan/cooling threads the info's out there.

Good luck cb

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rarely hear mine but when it comes on wow...you WILL KNOW IT and wonder *** is that then...oh wow my fan....

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well **** that would be why it never activates. I never see 235 on my temp gauge. It bounces up and down between 190-200. Never seen it any higher before. I don't work the truck like a lot of you guys do. It's just my daily driver to and from work.

yeah,you wouldn't want that power hungry,fuel robbing monster coming on anywhere near the thermostat opening temp.you'll have to go work the truck to bring it up to temp,like stated.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont use it you lose it! think those fans have to be used (locked up regularly) to keep them working right just like the trucks, son recently put an adapter to use a 7.3 mech clutch fan on his 6-O to replace the electric clutch,$$, those are know to have there wire loom holders break wire falls and gets ripped out or cut by fan, I'll take the mech fan also, like the idea of covering the radiator, kind of like exercise for the fan!

Black dawg

Reaction score
My truck had a blade on it that even with the clutch locked solid, I could not hear, even revved up under hood. After noticing that a blade on another truck was different, I swapped it, and man can you hear it now. This also improved cooling on my truck by a bunch.

My clutch engages about the 210 mark, and power actually feels crisper (big intercooler). I have tried to adjust it to come on at a little higher temp, but its like there is no inbetween, either 210 or 240.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
If you don't hear it after it sits overnight, no matter what outside temp is, then it needs to be replaced. It should stay on for quite a while when you first start driving after a overnight startup. Mine would go off in a block or so and I suspected it was getting weak, so I replaced it. Now it will stay on for a half mile or more, if you keep rpm's down under 1500 it stays on longer. If you get it over 1500 rpm's or more it will unlock faster.
Mine will lock up on 90 degree or better days with a/c running, and driving at highway speeds (2000 rpm's or better), when you get off an exit and come to a stop an idle for a bit it will come on when you start bring the rpm's up and usually by 1500-2000 rpm it't will unlock, again if you keep it below 1500 it will stay on longer.
I never have any overheating problems. I installed a real gauge this fall so this summer I will be able to see were its at, but so far even at 55 degrees with winter front on I have not seen more that 200 degrees.