Fan clutch modification

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone modified their fan clutch? I found this post on another site and don't see why it wouldn't work on ours- http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?12265-DIY-Fan-Clutch-mod. I know there used to be a company that sold a clutch that would kick on at a lower temperature but they seem to be out of business. I would imagine this would work. I'm going to give it a try soon and let you know how it works. Currently my fan doesn't go into full lock up until 240 degrees:eek:

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the mod in a nutshell:

Quote:Remove the RTV glob from the slot - pull the angled section of the bi-metal strip outta the slot, gently straighten the angle, bending to conform to the rest of the coil, leaving a very small lip that will fit in the slot - re-RTV the stip (strip tip) in the slot, let cure, and voila!!!!!! - yer clutch now engages at lower temps............. By: GMCTD

Basically you lengthen the metal coil which causes the fan to engage sooner.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the mod in a nutshell:

Quote:Remove the RTV glob from the slot - pull the angled section of the bi-metal strip outta the slot, gently straighten the angle, bending to conform to the rest of the coil, leaving a very small lip that will fit in the slot - re-RTV the stip (strip tip) in the slot, let cure, and voila!!!!!! - yer clutch now engages at lower temps............. By: GMCTD

Basically you lengthen the metal coil which causes the fan to engage sooner.

How about a nice group of pictures showing this from start to finish, so we have a better idea of what you are talking about?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
careful guys.they rob performance and fuel economy when locked.you don't want them locking too early.i wouldn't go for anything sooner than 230F.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I prefer to lock up at 220 degrees. I'm not comfortable locking up at 230 knowing another 12 degrees and your seeing the gauge swing way past hot ot the L"L in the dash gauge. then the lite comes on really telling you its really hot at 242 degrees. Damage is right around the corner from there and you can't see the temp going up any higher because the dash gauge wont tell you any more. Its already past the "L" and you know its hot.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Seems it would depend on a few things.
1. How your trucks runs in general.
2. Your driving style/ what you use it for.
3. Your climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk