Fan clutch locked up

BROWNIEBOY525

The old fleet
Reaction score
yesterday on my way home the fan clutch just locked up. Its weird because the truck was cold and it was only running for a few minuets. Is this the end of this clutch or is there a way to free it? Is it OK to run the truck with it locked or is going to come flying off?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I frequently LOCK them on purpose, by "pinning" them such that they are direct-drive.

I have two clutches for each truck, one pinned, the other normal.

First of May, I install the pinned clutches; and, about mid-October, I swap them for the regular clutches.

The A/C works MUCH better with the fan engaged all the time.

I can see nor feel no difference in either power or mileage.

No, it will not hurt your truck, so long as the clutch itself doesn't grenade, in which case the fan will most likely go through the radiator, giving you a good excuse to get a new one.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
As those who were on the 2008 IDI weekend in PA will attest..... and as noted above, make sure the fan is TIGHT to the shaft. You might want to use a little extra leverage as well as some blue thread locker.
If you hear an ominous "think" that occurs about 2 seconds after you shut off the engine, you might want to look for coolant fairly running out of the radiator....

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember; is the clutch LEFT- or RIGHT-hand thread ??

The threads on the Cummins clutches are LEFT-hand, thus the more the engine runs, the tighter they get.

I keep the threads on all of mine(Cummins) saturated with anti-sieze and have never had one spin loose yet.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are left handed, same as a Cummins. I had one come loose on a buddy's truck once, we had just put it back on, and tightened it pretty good, but, he only ran the truck maybe a minute to move it, and when he shut it down, the fan kept spinning and unscrewed itself...
Outside of that one occurrence, I've never had an issue, and 99% of the time the fan is considerably tighter than when I installed it when I go to remove it.