fan clutch howls constantly..it's new!

mainiac

Reaction score
What gives, this fan howls all the time. From take off up to the governor.
I'm about ready to take it off and put in some puller fans.
This thing was 2 bills new last Fall.
Should I put a heat gun to it and see what that does?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rumour has it that there is some elec puller fans that match the CFM of the mech fan. I know just how annoying it is when the mech fan stays locked on. I drove from St Louis MO to TX with a locked fan. Really bad feul mileage, roar of a B17 and probably contributed to me killing a 50k(on the odo) factory rebuild. Still, I'd rather put in a mech fan rather than depend on the elec fan. their failure rate is much higher.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I GAVE UP ON CLUTCH FANS A LONG TIME AGO

All the older vehicles, in my fleet, have direct-drive fan-hubs, no provision whatsoever for a clutch.;Sweet

They always work, never a problem, nothing to go haywire.:backoff

I have physically dis-abled the slip mechanisms in several fan clutches that had otherwise failed.

Contrary to others experiences, I have never experienced a drop in mileage, or power, with a direct-drive fan.

When I need my truck the most, the fan had better be engaged, climbing a long grade with a big load, or sitting stranded in a big traffic tie-up, that fan had better be turning.

A few weeks ago, I just got done pinning the fan-clutch in the wife's truck, after the original going bad, and two in a row from NAPA being bad out of the box.

I would have pinned it in the first place, except that it was at the A/C shop, having all new A/C components installed and they found the clutch to be bad and went ahead and installed it.

She has driven it several hundred miles, since, with no noticeable difference in power or mileage; believe me, had her mileage dropped, I would have:yell: heard about it.

:thumbsup: Now, her A/C blows ice-cold, even sitting still idling.:thumbsup:

I had much rather my fan pull at all times, than to trust my cooling to some failure-prone :puke: fuel-saver mechanism.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I saw that, pretty much the same as what I'm doing, except that I'm making my own aluminum shroud, which will have a couple of vents that will open at freeway speeds to let max air flow through the radiator. We'll see how the electrics do.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those of you who read Geo's article for electric fans need to keep in mind that PSD's tend to run cooler compared to the IDI due to the cylinder head design. We have alot more going on especially with the precups. I don't know what the CFM on the mech fan is but the HP drop is 20-25 when it kicks in.
If it wasn't running steady for 10 hours from Lebanon MO to Hamilton TX and got feul consumption readings, I wouldn't have believed the difference too. Bottom line, the mech fan is moving alot of air through the radiator and the work does not come for free.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clutch on the rollback is not spinning free (it turns about 3/4" then stops). I sure could use that 20 HP for something else. Damn heavy truck.

bluecollar

Reaction score
Mine howls constantly too after truck has warmed up. Would be nice to have it cooling good without sounding like a jet on take-off. I can definately feel the power loss.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been able to dig up the book that has the spec in it, but, I recall reading that the fan on my 460 moves about 7500-8000 cfm, and the one on a 6.9 moves in the area of 10,000.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clutch on the rollback is not spinning free (it turns about 3/4" then stops). I sure could use that 20 HP for something else. Damn heavy truck.

Hmmm, it just occured to me that the grease in my fan clutch bearing is dried out and that's why it doesn't turn. Time to drill a hole, spray in some PT oil and seal it back up.

The sad thing is I was in the bearing business for 3 years and it took this long for the information to percolate to the top.