Fan change

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I have heard before that it's possible to remove the stock fan and gain HP, fuel economy, and tourqe back and put two electric fans in place with a switch? Is this true

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This would be true in every case where and engine has a cooling fan driven by the belt system. Now how much of a gain will you get? It will not be much. Think in more long term results. Maybe after 5-10 years of use you would see your money back from fuel savings. A proper electric cooling fan system for our trucks would be in the $700-$1000 ranger would be my guess. That would be two electric fans that can move enough cfm and a custom made shroud to direct that air flow properly. Now im sure there are people that have made cheap electric fans work. But I personally would not run the risk of damaging a 3-5k engine on a cheap cooling system. Also you wont be getting snap your head HP or torque from removing the belt driven fan. You might free up 3-7HP.

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the moment I have two powerful electric fans I could install to pull air though the radiator. Neither of my idis currently have a shourd on them to begin with I bought them that way

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can always run them and see how the truck does. Just make sure you have a good aftermarket temp gauge so you can keep track of what is going on.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest you put the proper fan shroud on the radiator and use the stock fan with a properly working fan clutch. It is all sized for the engine to keep it in proper temp operation limits by engineers at Ford on a big budget to make it work right.

If your fan clutch is working right, the fan coasts at highway speeds and forward motion moves way more air through the radiator than the fan ever could.. at slower speeds the temp sensor in the fan clutch engages the fan and it cools the engine coolant through the radiator... BUT.. it needs all the parts to work right.. Shroud being one of them.. get one..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Most if not all these engines can run fine without a fan on them in summer or winter but.. Having a good quality after market temp gauge is good insurance things are being watched closely too. I started my new rebuild without the fan and it ran fine... till i ran my ac in the driveway. Lifted the ac safety. so at least my ac needs some air being pulled they ru the condenser.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just run around empty you do not need much cooling. If you pull a lot of weight, with big hills, you need ALOT of cooling, most electric fans are not big enough. Been there, done that. You can't even find a flex fan to replace the stock one. The largest I could find was 19 inches, the stock fan is 23 inches in diameter.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel did a really nice electric fan modification to the Moose Truck. He had some nice pics and a parts list too.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just run around empty you do not need much cooling. If you pull a lot of weight, with big hills, you need ALOT of cooling, most electric fans are big enough. Been there, done that. You can't even find a flex fan to replace the stock one. The largest I could find was 19 inches, the stock fan is 23 inches in diameter.

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to read 'are not big enough' - just to alleviate confusion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk