Faded door panel help

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
My blue door panels have some scratches and are faded pretty bad at the top, and the drivers panel is turning yellow in spots:puke:. They look pretty bad, and now that I have new carpet, I have to have nicer door panels somehow:sly. Does anybody know any tips for "refreshing" them?? Like maybe wet sanding them, or dry sanding them, SOS pads, Steel wool, etc. I havent tried anything on them yet, I wanted to see if anybody has tried anything with any luck. I though maybe if I could use one of the above methods, maybe I could "remove" the faded layer and see fresh blue plastic??:dunno I used some DupliColor Vinyl paint for my gauge pod, and I really like the color of it, but I would really prefer to not paint everything. If I cant make these look better, Ill just deal with them until I can get some new panels ordered. Thanks for any tips or advise in advance;Sweet

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain, Cody. I searched everywhere for new blue door panels for my 1994 F350 - no luck. I finally bought a set of junk yard panels from a blue bronco and restored them. Don't mess around with sanding them. You need to clean them really well and scrub them with soap and water. Then clean them again with TSP (get at hardware store). Then spray them with SEM plastic adhesion promoter. Finally, you can spray them with plastic/vinyl paint of your choice. The key is to get the panels super clean and properly prepped before painting, so that the paint will stick and last. Mine look great and look practically factory new and the paint has stuck like glue. The 1994-1997 obs trucks used a "darker "blue than earlier trucks, and I found a close match from this place- http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/MET-FL94/93-Mustang-Lapis-Blue-Lacquer-Interior-Paint. Your 1991 will be the earlier, more grayish blue. I think LMC truck has an interior paint that is close to that color too. Of course, you could always spring for new replacement panels(87-91) from LMC truck or Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. Stacy David on Gearz did some interior plastic panel restoration on Ted Nugent's Bronco a while back and you might be able to watch that by going to his website. Good luck with it. Just remember, prepping the panels is the most important part - they have to be super clean. Todd

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Thanks tbrumm. I called SEM last week and they helped me find my color, it is called Dark Regatta Blue. Like you said, the bricknose truck blue interior is more greyish blue than the OBS trucks like yours, but mine are now a "medium blue faded to light blue faded to yellow faded to greenish blue":puke:LOL. They told me to contact Vinyl Pro in Marietta, GA to order some. They said I could get it in a quart or in aeresol cans. Did you use aeresol or spray it with a gun? And how long has it been since you have painted them? Have any pics of how it turned out, or maybe some before and after pics?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Not door panels, but I used the duplicolor vinyl paint to change my dash pad from tan to dark gray. Thrumm is correct, preparation is key. I even used Lacquer thinner to clean some spots. No peeling, lifting or any problems at all. I would use it on door panels in a heartbeat.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used the SEM paint in the aerosol spray cans I ordered from Late Model Restoration in Texas. It has probably been a couple of years since i did it and there is no fading or flaking. Like I said - the panels look factory. I think some of the plastic interior parts may even be painted at the factory with special plastic/vinyl paint. When I painted, I used multiple light coats as the stuff dries pretty quick. Even with the paint on the panels, the "grain" molded into the panels shows up well and does not look like there has been paint applied. I don't have any before photos, but could probably get some current photos of the panels. But, they will just look like door panels in good condition. Like Knuckledragger said above, I would not hesitate to use this paint again. I have also been thinking about using it on my dash, as it is slighlty faded. But I am going to try that stuff they sell on TV called "WIPE NEW" and see how that does restoring the color. My only hesitation about painting the dash is the mess and the amount of masking involved to prevent overspray in the cab.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
My only hesitation about painting the dash is the mess and the amount of masking involved to prevent overspray in the cab.

I have a slant nose and the dash pad comes out with about 12 screws. It was out of the truck to paint. Actually, I was changing pads since the original one had lots of cracks. The replacement looks new and the color matches perfectly.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the local paint store mix up some PPG interior paint for me. DBI is the paint model. They can mix it in any color you want. I typically try to stay away from Aerosol cans if I can. I do have a bunch of paint stuff though so shooting in a gun is no big deal and I had my dash out of the truck. Cleaning all the old cleaners and stuff off the panels is the important part. I cleaned my dash really well sprayed an adhesion promotor and painted it. Turned out really nice. I still have the whole interior left to do. Good times....

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem with refinishing any plastic stuff in a *high wear* area is it might not hold up... even using a good product such as SEM. I wouldnt get a *paint* i would get the dye spray, it holds up better from what i have seen. You can fix any bigger scratches and stuff with plastic compounds, most come as a 2 part, mix em up and lay them like body filler. The problem would be trying to match the texture, you might be better off leaving the scratches :)

Make sure any paint you ordered/order is a dull, will reduce in-cab glare. You can also get an interior based intermediate clear to help protect from UV rays and peeling on the new paint. the intermediate clear is low gloss, so glare wont be an issue while at the same time protecting your investment.

I believe LMC sells the interior panels for all the 80-96/97 trucks, but i dont recall ever seeing the rear door panels... maybe they are the same?

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Lots of helpful information. Once I get my truck back together and on the road again hopefully by Christmas time, then I plan on tackling this interior project probably a couple pieces at a time. Also Im thinking about replacing the cloth panel on my doors(next to where your arm rests) with some blue leather to match the seats, and possibly have "Lariat" embroidered in them or something like that,