factory tach question

ELIHMAN

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just bought a 63 F-250 from the original owner w/148000 miles. The truck was the first diesel to come in to Crest Ford in Rocky Mount NC. It's early enough that factory air was not available when the fellow ordered it. My truck does not have the factory tach and I have found a 86 in a junk yard with one. Would my truck have the wireing in place or is there a seperate wireing harness for the tach? BTW I've been a diesel fanatic all my life. I've logged over 300,000 miles in a IH scout Terra with the nissian turbo diesel and have a 93 4900 IH flat dump with the DT-466 and 4 IH and 1 Massey diesel tractors. Thanks for the help Eason

Diesel Fly

Body By Rustoleum
Reaction score
I'm the same boat as you. So I'll be watching this thread closely. Does the gauge cluster that you got have the tach that goes up to 4500 RPM (Diesel) or higher (Gas)??

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the model A club! I also have the first Ford Diesel that my Ford dealer sold. No. There is no wireing provision for the factory tach in an 83 (much less a 63 LOL ) However, you can add one to your 83 just by swapping instrument clusters and making the necessary wiring changes by compairing the 83 and 86 wiring schematics (some of which are found in my albums linked below). It's only 2 wires that are missing.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
and you will need the injection pump gear housing because the early ones with no tach did not come with a provision for a tach - at least my 83 did not.... that can be obtained from any IDI that came with a tach. the difference is the later ones have the fill oil fill neck built into the housing verses just bolting on the front.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the pump gear cover plate with it too, since the oil fill is integrated on the 7.3's, unless you want two oil fills. LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
awe come on Mel then that would just be custom... you could add oil in after an oil change in half the time...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the pump gear to housing clearance is too tight to allow even one filler neck to flow good. Those 5 quart jugs sure make it easy to over flow it. LOL