fabricating an intercooler

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so my 93 f250 regular cab 7.3 with and e40d and I just installed the banks side winder system on it. While I was at work working on a neon srt4 I had to replace the inter cooler because of a small scratch from the accident. I kept the old intercooler instead of tossing it in the scrap aluminum pile. My question is now can I fab this up to work on my truck? It looks like I could make it fit behind the bumber or something but where should I route hoses too and such. Anyone have any pics, And will this give me additional power or just lower egts?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea on the CFM flow rate of that intercooler. IIRC our trucks need somewhere in the 800-1000cfm for the intercooler to be much help. Should improve power due to more oxygen getting into the engine and for any given psig a cooler air charge will be much more oxygen heavy. For instance a hot 15psi is less O2 than a cool 13 and 13 is probably still in the efficiency range of our turbos, whereas 15 for most of the plug and pay kits is way out of the best effciency of the turbo leading to hotter charge air and less power/economy.

mustangmatt89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did some reasearch on what I have and it seems to be quite an expensive intercooler. I remember it was around $1000 at the shop when we had to order it but it isn't a stock one. It is an upgraded kit and flows around 880 cfm from what I have found online. So what have other people done to mount these systems up? anyone have any pics.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Spearco are the best IC cores made, no question. If you're talking about a $1000+ IC then I'd be willing to bet its atleast built from a Spearco core. Greddy, AEM and several of the performance tuner shops use Spearco IC cores for their IC's. Take a pic of it and post it up.