F450 7.3 question

Possum Creek

Reaction score
Hello oilburners, I am new to this forum and I have a question about a 93 F450 with a 7.3. This truck runs well with no smoke from idle to 2500 RPM, above 2500 RPM it misses and smokes white smoke also it has a broken glow plug. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
probably needs a set of injectors.your truck came with stanadyne E code fuel injectors if it's n/a.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be running out of enough fuel, white smoke could be a small air intrusion from tank to IP on the supply side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Do you know how many miles are on the injectors and injection pump. Most feel 125,000 miles is the worn out limit. What was this rig made for. Was it a u haul rig. If so it may have the low rpm governor in it. Only way to make it rev to pickup truck 3600 rpm is to replace the pump. Please read the Hall of shame before you nuy from any ebay killer deals. Many will cheat you big time. Those listed in the shame forum got there because of what they did to others. Also please don't believe a rebuilt injector can be cleaned, pop tested and parts replaced cheaper than buying new. That just can't happen because parts are more expensive than buying new.

Possum Creek

Reaction score
Hello again, thanks for the quick responses, I think I have found the problem with this truck. Today I started it up and it ran for just a second and then died and lost its prime. The fuel gauge read slightly over 1/4 of a tank, is it more likely that the gauge is wrong or it can't pull the remaining fuel? Either way I will top off the tank and try it again.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well nobody thought to ask about the tank level. For everyone reading.. If you have fuel issues and are at or near a 1/4 tank please add some fuel. Reason is our fuel suction head breaks off and we can't suck up the last 1/4 tank of fuel. Very few trucks like ours will have a good suction head that reaches the bottom of the tank. We refer to the suction heads are shower heads because they look very much like a bath shower head. They actually touch the bottom of the tank but their design wont suck down ******* the bottom and stop flow. No reason for them breaking off. The simple fix is add 3 or 4 inches of 3/8 hose and a clamp. Problem is getting the senders out of the tanks...