External smoke screw?

sootman73

Reaction score
so the one i wanted to turn is the higher offset one? ill try it once i get my truck back from the dealership. i put the other one back again finally and everything is back to normal.

tractorman86

Reaction score
:rolleyes: don't mean to hijack but... ok so adjusting the one for the gov. down to bout 3100rpm will it hinder any performance? I did it to my last ip and not too long after that i snapped the shaft drive.:confused: is that a coincidence, just looking for some opinions here.

sootman73

Reaction score
this is where i am confused because my truck has never gone past 3100 no matter what. if i turn this screw in can i get more rpm? if not im lookin to have someone put a governor spring from my 6.2l pump into my 7.3l idi

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adjustments to the govenor can be made with the top cover off. However, after several attempts to do this myself during the development of the Moose Pump, and having been educated later by my rebuilder, I would caution against anyone playing with these values. There are relationships that are complicated to control without the special test gear and knowledge that comes from years of working on them. In all likelyhood, if you attempt to raise your governed RPM, your going to loose your idle range and consequently your driveability. We only increase the unloaded RPM's on a Moose Pump by about 300 RPM. Most of the fuel delivery occurs in the critical peak of the torque curve for maximum HP. You can play with different A/R turbo's to try and achieve higher boost rather than just raising the RPM's and throwing a rod. LOL

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump on my engine de-fuels at 3750 under load, never tried hitting the governor unloaded. Now that I no longer have a turbo, it smokes something ridiculous, I'm going to have to turn it back down....