Experience with GV install anyone?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously considering GV for the '93 IDIT.
I can't keep up (shake the idiot drivers) on the interstate ... constantly twisting 2800 - 3000 RPM, and tired of that.
The question ... Has anyone had experience with the install process behind a ZF5?
Do I have to get both drive shafts shortened?
Thank you,
Kizer

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know much about this type of thing, but I do know that if you have to shorten one driveshaft, you'll most likely have to lengthen the other one.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have to shorten one driveshaft, you'll most likely have to lengthen the other one.

Makes sense ... depending on how it mounts. Since the ZF model is divorced it could go either way. Offset forward of the carrier bearing would = shorten both shafts.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I know that the main components of the gv are all the same, and the front is what's different, but I didn't know they made a divorced front half, that's cool. I could see some use for sure.

As for the driveshafts, I don't see any reason that anything besides the end that's going to directly connect to the gv would need to be touched. Just imagine lopping off a few Inches on one end, that way the carrier bearing and rear shaft, as well as slip joints, all stay the same saving some major $$

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give them a call today ... will update

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Makes sense ... depending on how it mounts. Since the ZF model is divorced it could go either way. Offset forward of the carrier bearing would = shorten both shafts.
When you said "both shafts", I was thinking front and rear driveshafts (4x4), not both parts of a two piece driveshaft.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even a 4x4 though, the t case stays in the same place, as the gv mounts rear of it. so the drive shaft to the front axle doesn't need any change.

That's really my only complaint with a gv, I'd like to be able to split whatever I'm doing, not just 2wd. It's not really a big issue, I can't think of a reason I would ever need to, I just WANT too haha

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gear ratio is your axle and what size tires are you running? Even with 4.10s on 33's in 5th gear doing 85mph you would be around 2800rpm.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When you said "both shafts", I was thinking front and rear driveshafts (4x4), not both parts of a two piece driveshaft.
I was sitting here thinking "the hell are they talking about" before I figured it out. Was still questionable even then. Lol
What gear ratio is your axle and what size tires are you running? Even with 4.10s on 33's in 5th gear doing 85mph you would be around 2800rpm.
I thought sounded high as well.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What gear ratio is your axle and what size tires are you running?

Axle code:45. I believe that to be "open" 4.10. Running on 215/85/16's.

To be clear the truck is '93 CC DRW IDIT.

And typical highway speed is 80-85 ... per the instrument panel.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was sitting here thinking "the hell are they talking about" before I figured it out. Was still questionable even then. Lol

I apologize for the confusion ... I was thinking in terms of "intermediate" and "main" drive shafts and I never said "the '93 IDIT in my signature".

Hagan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axle code:45. I believe that to be "open" 4.10. Running on 215/85/16's.

To be clear the truck is '93 CC DRW IDIT.

And typical highway speed is 80-85 ... per the instrument panel.

Small tires and 4.10s will do that. Going to 3.55s will lower your rpm ~400 at 85mph. Putting bigger tires on like 33's will lower your rpm ~250 rpm at 85mph.

Of course the gv will make a huge difference too. Tires would be the cheapest

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go much bigger on a dually, the tires get to close. As mentioned, a 3.55 gear swap would bring RPM way down, and for a lot less than a GV unit. Or, just drive slower, I drove my new '91 CC SRW from Sherman to Houston yesterday (7.3/ZF-5/4.10LS) with the cruise set around 67 MPH the whole way. You get a lot more MPG that way!
I know it's been a long time, but there's a reason the 55 MPH mark is highlighted on these older trucks, that was the national speed limit at the time - and the highway speed they were designed for.

Eli

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, just drive slower, I drove my new '91 CC SRW from Sherman to Houston yesterday (7.3/ZF-5/4.10LS) with the cruise set around 67 MPH the whole way.

I'm aware but this solution is not an option. I drive interstate 600 to 1000 miles per week. Running 70 isn't going to cut it.
I like the 3.55 idea ... I tow a 7000-9000# trailer sometimes (not @ 80 MPH) and was concerned with my ability to get/stay rolling with the gear swap.
Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online

No members online now.