Experience with GV install anyone?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have seen those v6 engines. Thee first time I saw one, I thought it was a 454 because the valve covers were so huge. I had to count the spark plug wires before I would believe the it was a V6.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question:
To clear the air, which GV do you have?

I have one that does not bolt to the rear of the transmission [or transfer case]. Instead, it is made to replace the carrier bearing between the rear driveshafts.

On that setup, the mount that fits the GV requires that the driveshaft angle be set by how you mount the GV unit. Once it is set and locked down [angle wise] you then measure for driveshaft length for both front and rear driveshaft.. In my case, [cab chassis truck, F 450, 11 ft bed] I had to make length adjustment to both front and rear shaft...

In talking with GV for tech assistance, I found that carrier bearing mount is pretty rare setup. according to them. Same guts, different adapters on the front of GV to take the drive yoke.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I have seen those v6 engines. Thee first time I saw one, I thought it was a 454 because the valve covers were so huge. I had to count the spark plug wires before I would believe the it was a V6.
Yep! They made a 305, 351, 401 and 478 all on the same block. Then a 636 V8, a V12 (twin six). Plus a 351 and 478 Toro Flow Diesel. Always wanted a 478 Diesel in a pickup. 478 gas has been done in a pickup. Really don’t need a trans, just take off in 3rd ! 5.125 bore on the 478....

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yep! They made a 305, 351, 401 and 478 all on the same block. Then a 636 V8, a V12 (twin six). Plus a 351 and 478 Toro Flow Diesel. Always wanted a 478 Diesel in a pickup. 478 gas has been done in a pickup. Really don’t need a trans, just take off in 3rd ! 5.125 bore on the 478....
:eek: More info that I didn't know that I missed out on. Thanks! There's SOOO much automotive history that's all but lost these days. It's really sad. That's not even counting what happened in other countries.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question:
To clear the air, which GV do you have?

I have one that does not bolt to the rear of the transmission [or transfer case]. Instead, it is made to replace the carrier bearing between the rear driveshafts.

On that setup, the mount that fits the GV requires that the driveshaft angle be set by how you mount the GV unit. Once it is set and locked down [angle wise] you then measure for driveshaft length for both front and rear driveshaft.. In my case, [cab chassis truck, F 450, 11 ft bed] I had to make length adjustment to both front and rear shaft...

In talking with GV for tech assistance, I found that carrier bearing mount is pretty rare setup. according to them. Same guts, different adapters on the front of GV to take the drive yoke.

It isn’t clear, to me, from whom you’re asking the question.
If you’re asking me, I don’t have a GV yet. When I called GV they described the unit that I need for my application. All of that info. is in this thread.

Kyle Carter

Reaction score
Those old gm sixes are killer. And I remember my dads friend had one of the v12’s I got to see in person although I was pretty young. 4 heads, 4 valve covers and dual distributors those things were wild!