Research for OM606.962 Swap, Setup for specific torque outputs

pakmule87

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently trying to do some research for a future swap. I plan to swap in the OM606.962 into my 92 Bronco. Plans are mechanical pump from Diesel Pump UK to start (unless anyone has bad experiences to share and suggestions on other options), but am trying to focus more on torque. Not trying to go crazy, just something to get a more fuel efficient setup than my old 5.0 that is currently running about 11.5mpg, while maintaining a setup that can pull at least as well for the few times I do. Eventual plans are to put a ZF5 out of an F250 behind it, so figured I would shoot for something in the 325-375 ft/lbs range, though in order to be able to get this swap done sooner (when I say research, I mean I have nothing yet for donor or other purchasable parts) I may end up sticking with the M5OD-R2 transmission I have on hand, and to keep from trying to ruin it, probably shoot for no more than 300 ft/lbs, which would still give something comparable if not more than what the 5.0 had new which was 270 ft/lbs at 2400 rpm.

I know this is going to be a big chunk of learning for me, but that is half the fun. So bottom line is, consider me a semi-capable idiot who knows how to use a wrench who has no idea where to start with figuring out numbers on a project like this. Thanks for any help, and thanks for any insults as well :)

pakmule87

Reaction score
So a minor update, have at least sourced a motor. Isn't an OM606, but is an OM603. Not sure which block as the guy who is selling it got it on a project truck and had it listed as an OM606 turbo. Figured for $1000 with 4 speed, that I have no plans of using, for a running engine, even if it isn't in great shape, I should be able to get enough out of it part wise to save me some trouble and let me mock up in one of the extra trucks I have laying around to reduce downtime to actually do the swap into my Bronco. So, should anybody have any knowledge towards my previous post on this topic, we can probably just try to better generalize the torque gain over a stock OM603 or OM606 to somewhere in that 30-40% range while keeping the same stock peak torque rpm range. Also, how well do these motors do with towing? Current gearing in my Bronco has OD at 70mph around 2400rpms or so (can't recall too close as it has been a little bit since I drove it that fast due to my daily commute having 45 speed limits), and weight wise my Bronco can be estimated at 3 tons, and though I don't plan on doing much towing, we can use 3 tons as a reference weight for the towing weight.