Exhaust question for an 88 IDI

Reaction score
I picked up a 1988 F250 with a brand new IDI. I've done a little bit of work here and there and the truck runs and rides great. This is my first non turbo IDI. I normally pull the stock exhaust and have it exit right in front of the rear tire and delete the muffler. I was told with a non-turbo truck I need the muffler. I am not trying to get big power out of this truck I just want to get rid of the bulky exhaust system that is in my way. Do I need the muffler and if so is there a smaller more efficient one from the aftermarket?

Reaction score
I noticed when I removed the muffler from my Turbo IDI it sounded exactly the same. Would it be the same with this truck or will it be louder? I really do not want it louder if I can help it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to the claims that back pressure is necessary, all that is resistance to exhaust flow which means more heat left in the engine= higher egts

The best setup for an NA truck straight pipe with 3" or better diameter, also don't cut corners and keep the factory Y pipe, it is extremely restrictive, some say almost as bad as the factory downpipes.

Hope this helps.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed when I removed the muffler from my Turbo IDI it sounded exactly the same. Would it be the same with this truck or will it be louder? I really do not want it louder if I can help it.

Straight pipe is loud. But at idle and maybe 1/4 throttle it sounds factory

Reaction score
I was thinking that too. I really do not like the way the factory exhaust is configured especially at the y-pipe. However, I am also not looking to sink a lot of money into this truck. Other than the fact that I am getting the exhaust out of the way of what I need to do are there really any significant performance enhancements are changing the entire exhaust system?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with just replacing my muffler with a weld in pipe, the increase in power was very noticeable, as were the egts differance. The straight pipe exhaust is loud, but IMO the best sounding diesel exhaust ever;Sweet

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, but if you want to drop a grand on some headers, stan's headers makes some real nice ones :D

Most any exhaust shop should be able to make a better Y pipe from scratch that will offer improvement over factory

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many have done it, I would like to when money is less tight but some say it sounds off with out a X pipe or some kind of crossover

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Single is easier/cheaper.
You can look at youtube videos for sound clips.
A true dual idi is loud. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance