Exhaust 4.2L F-150

medwards29

Construction Project Manager
Reaction score
So my catalytic converters got clogged up one day and blew apart my EGR tube from my exhaust manifold. So I dropped the Cats and crushed out all the pack and now its just a straight pipe. Now my problem is that the manifold bolts were were snapped off and drilled out to fit a bolt down inside but the metal was so tempered we only had enough strength to put one bolt on each side. So now the cats are hanging onto the manifold by merely a 5/16" bolt on each side, and yes there is an exhaust leak there, lol. The EGR tube appears to be connected to the manifold by being flared into the manifold, but it snapped on the outside of the manifold, so i poked it back in and put a semi truck water pump hose clamp on in to hold in down to the manifold. YES THIS IS THE MOST RED-NECKED EXHAUST EVER!!:thumbsup: So I was wanting to either take it to the local exhaust shop and get the manifold bolts put in correctly and hopefully a new EGR tube installed correctly, but will the exhaust shop havea problem with my cats? Will they have to do a smog test? Will I have to put new cats on it. My other option is to find a twin turbo kit for a 3.8L V6 Mustang and it should go on easy because the 4.2L in my F-150 is basically a stroked 3.8L. This should make it a "bit" faster:sly. So what do u think?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I would think that most shops won't touch it if it has anything to do with removing the cats. They can get into serious trouble for removing emissions equipment. At least, shops here in Texas won't touch anything like that.

medwards29

Reaction score
im not having cats removed from shop, i just want the shop to bolt the empty cats back to the manifold correctly they don't have to know they're empty. and wayne a 6.9L won't work on my truck lol.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
But if they find out they won't touch it. If you can slip it past them then go for it.
But having them fix the egr tube they might realize that they have been gutted.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
So you dont have any more cats? That has got to kill what ever bottom end the 4.2 ever had. I would recommend having the exhaust shop put 2 new cats in and leave the other 2 hollow. I did that on my 97 4.2 and it set no check engine lights and passed the emissions tests with flying colors. I actually used that truck to get inspection stickers, scrape them off, put them on my other trucks, then go get it inspected again

medwards29

Reaction score
that actually sounds like a good idea, it actually gave me more power though. It only chug a lugs a little at low RPM's but accelerates like a beast. My uncle that works at ford dealer said that because of the locations of my O2 sensors it would be ok if they were hollow. So far so good, lol. If i do anything to exhaust again it'll be twin turbos.