Engine Swap Questions.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Hey all i have a 1995 F-250 ext. cab longbox Auto. 4x4, im working on. Yes i know it has the powerstroke in it, but i am in the right place because im yanking the POS powerchoke out, and i have a 1992 7.3l idi im gunna be putting in it. My questions are, i want to keep the truck an automatic if possible, What Kind of Transmission should i use that would be the least amount of work? I dont want to have to do any major amounts of electrical work if possible, just the basics to get it running. I dont car about the gauges as i have aftermarket ones to put in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the auto should bolt up to the idi and if the PSD has an auto its a E40D trans its electronic so u will need the computor for it exc exc along with the throttle controle for it, the engine wiring is basicly GPs, fuelshut off, high idle exc, nothing too major if u ask me should be simple if you have the wiring or a local pic and pull the only other thing is idk how the rad hoses line up with the idi (unless u have the idi rad) i know the top is different but idk about the bottom.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Another question I forgot to ask, do you know if the motor mounts are in the same location or are those gunna have to be moved? Thanks

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Basically all you need to do for wiring is get an IDI harness and splice that into the Powerstroke harness....removing as much un-used wiring as possible, OR just take the Powerstroke harness and hook the gauges up, put a keyed 12V power to the FSS on the IP and then remove all the other wiring.

You will need to find and hook up the fuel reset light, WIF light, WTS light and hook the GP system up (again, with a keyed 12V source)

The fuel lines and tanks from the 1995 should work just fine, and can be left in place.

You will need to remove the fuel pedal (the powerstroke are a fly by wire like most modern big rigs) and install a cabled one off an IDI truck. Your speedo will work as it's an electric unit in the rearend.

Other than that, it's options. A/C, cruise, etc.

If it were me, I would get a wiring map for the powerstroke, and wire the plug end off an IDI onto it....tht way you KNOW everything is working and hooked up right. Then you can take a complete IDI with it's harness and just plug it in, run fuel lines, tighten up some bolts and you can make some noise.

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Ok thanks goofy that helps quite a bit. Now to just figure out the tranny situation. Anybody have ideas?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am not 100%, but the powerstroke and IDI have the same auto transmission. Just the computer is different because the powerstroke is a HUEI angine and the IDI runs an FIPL setup. It should be just the matter of changing computers from the Powerstroke to the IDI computer.

But in saying that, I am not sure how the FIPL will tie into the harness. You may end up changing the whole trans harness.

I also heard that the powerstroke transmission has the same plug, but 2 or 3 pins are in different locations than the IDI transmission plug.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could pull the Ford/PSD electronics out and just use a Baumanator controller to run your E4OD.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I knew that someone with more knowledge would chime in sooner or later.

What is a Baumanator controller Mel?

Is there really a difference between the PSD and IDI pin orientation in transmission plug?

Fordman84

Fordman84
Reaction score
Ok thanks mel I will look into getting one of these. I just don't care for the powerstroke any more, at least one thing goes wrong with it every week and parts for it are way to much for my pocket book. My 84 idi has never givin me this many problems. But I like the 95 body style. I will keep updating my progress as I go along and hopfully getting some pics up. Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online