Engine swap questions

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Hopefully, by next rally, I plan on having a new engine installed, with fresh paint and freshly detailed components. I am also adding my turbo that I have had for the last 2 years. Its an ATS 088 non-wastegate. My questions are:
Can I install the engine with the turbo setup partially installed?

What is the best way to replace these engines? I am thinking of removing the core support, because my truck is lifted and the hoist at work won't be able to lift it up high enough to clear everything.

I am now working on installing the turbo while the engine is on a stand, just to see if I have everything needed. I am also going to paint the engine "International Red". I'll use the spray booth at work and put a nice layer of paint down. I'm getting psyched, it should look real nice when its finished.;Sweet Thanks for your help.

John

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled my front clip and it made it a lot easier, the core support takes forever to undo from the fenders. my 2c

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John, we will probably be dropping the diesel in the Night Moose this weekend if you want to come down and get some experience. It is International Red too! ;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking everything off the core is a PITA like stated above, but the entire front clip is not too bad. Unbolt the fenders from the cab, take off the hood, take out the batteries and radiator, unbolt the rad support from the frame, remove the front bumper, unhook all the cables/wires, and two (four would be better) people can just walk the whole front clip off the truck.

It will look like this:
You must be registered for see images

And this:
You must be registered for see images

You can "modify" your firewall while you have the engine out for the turbo plumping. It will be much, much easier to get the turbo on the motor with it out. Now, getting the motor back in the truck with the turbo on may be a bit tougher, but, I try it first.

I put my turbo on my truck with just the motor and tranny sitting on a naked frame (no cab, bed, or clip), and it was a breeze.LOL

Heath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I agree with heath if You aren't using a different engine (like swapping an IDI for a cummins or another engine) You don't need the front clip there or the fenders and it is much easier to pull then front clip than getting to the rad support.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Thanks all.
Mel, I would like to come down, but I have to work Sat, and Sat evening is tied up and Sunday is tied up. Take lots of pics. Can't wait to see that International Red.

I started to pull everything off this motor that doesn't get painted red. I am making a list of parts needed to do the swap. As far as pulling off the whole front clip, I am planing on doing this at work. I will probably take a week off and just work on my truck. I really don't have the room to have a complete front clip laying around, but can stash a core support and other misc. items. But maybe I can store the front clip in the body shop. Hmmmm.

John

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
To get mine in, I pulled the core support and then rolled the vehicle under it....three times.

SWS

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put some boards across the truck bed rails and set the clip on top of them. That'll keep the clip out of the way

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online