Engine rebuild

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have come to the decision to rebuild and hop up my IDI. I want to get more power out of it, and reseal and freshen the motor. I wanted to assemble a parts list for not only myself but others in the future. Issue is this is my first diesel rebuild so not sure what would be the best parts to get. So here is the list-

Gaskets-
Intake
oilcooler
exhst. manifolds
oilpan
valve covers

Headgaskets (high performance)

Any others-

Upgrades-

Studs (ARP)- Type 4
Inj pump- DPS turbo calibrated
Stage 1 inj- DPS
Intercooler 6.0 PSD w/ all 3" piping
AIS water ****
Type4 cam- Type4
Heat wrap crossover and down pipes- maybe

Any other suggestions? And vendors/ sources of where I can get the necessary gaskets and what are the best headgaskets?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
HAving a huge air filter, and having a cold air intake are two different things though. If you want a LOT of air, a big filter is the way to go, but if you want a LOT of COLD air to combat the high EGT's that pump is going to give you...even WITH an IC...then you need a CAI.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Do a search, there are several threads here on this. It all depends how much money you want to spend. 94 turbo rods and pistons would be a good start if you plan on a lot of boost (15-25 is a lot for an idi). You might reconsider your pump and injector configuration, there has been a lot of people dissatisfied with dps's work, do a search on them also. and remember find facts, don't believe everything everyone says

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have come to the decision to rebuild and hop up my IDI. I want to get more power out of it, and reseal and freshen the motor. I wanted to assemble a parts list for not only myself but others in the future. Issue is this is my first diesel rebuild so not sure what would be the best parts to get. So here is the list-

Gaskets-
Intake
oilcooler
exhst. manifolds
oilpan
valve covers

Headgaskets (high performance)

Any others-

Upgrades-

Studs (ARP)- Type 4
Inj pump- DPS turbo calibrated
Stage 1 inj- DPS
Intercooler 6.0 PSD w/ all 3" piping
AIS water ****
Type4 cam- Type4
Heat wrap crossover and down pipes- maybe

Any other suggestions? And vendors/ sources of where I can get the necessary gaskets and what are the best headgaskets?

You missed the most important part: A bigger turbo.:sly

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You missed the most important part: A bigger turbo.:sly

Yeh I feel that with these upgrades i can reach the max of my current turbo. So in the future yeh it will get a bigger one. But the main issue is around here, the only "cheap" turbos are hx35's. I really do not want to spend $1,500 on a turbo.....

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you buy the above gasket please don't use the oil pan gasket. They wont seal and then you have a leak that requires the engine removal. Use a quality grade rtv like permatex ultra copper. I have used it for years on oil pan gaskets and never a leak. Even the factory used rtv for this gasket. Those main seals probably wont work because your seal rubbing area on the crank and dampner will have a worn area in them. Get the speedi sleeves and you will be fine. Its a lot of work to drop a trans because you have a rear main seal leak. The front main seal is no picnic either. About the crank flexplate or flywheel bolts. Use athread sealant on them or oil will leak past the threads from the pan. And the front seal needs some rtv on the keyway to stop the oil flow leak. Just enough on the key to cover it well.

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i have rebuilt 2 gm 350's before. As for ol pan gaskets, RTV is a no brainer. The flywheel bolts will get loctite like normal, the part that confused me what the speedy sleaves and and the key way. Now that i re-read it the keyway makes sense, but never heard of speedy sleaves?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well i have rebuilt 2 gm 350's before. As for ol pan gaskets, RTV is a no brainer. The flywheel bolts will get loctite like normal, the part that confused me what the speedy sleaves and and the key way. Now that i re-read it the keyway makes sense, but never heard of speedy sleaves?

A speedy sleeve is a sleeve that goes on the wear surface. This makes a nice, smooth, FLAT surface for the new seal to ride on. And a special larger diameter seal comes with the sleeve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online