Engine light: do I need it or just put a piece of tape over it?

bucholzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember (the truck has been "off-duty" since may 2006) and I can't find anything searching so here comes a newbie question ;p : What does the "engine"-light tell me? Does it only come on when oil pressure is low/fails, or is it so advanced that it has other functions as well?

I have put a new sender to an after market oil pressure gauge in the stock position, and would like to get rid of that engine light. The port on the oil cooler is rusted solid and after having busted my knuckles on rusted bolts for 2 1/2 years, I just don't wanna wrestle with those buggers anymore. And I don't have any tee-piece available as per now. So unless there are some easily available ports that ain't stuck and located in mysterious places, can't I just ground the wire for the stock sender? :confused:

I'm a bit fed up with restoring my husky hauler, (not updated for a while and in norwegian, but you get the idea: http://www.bilbygging.no/viewtopic.php?t=1848), so I'm just looking for easy fixes ala Homer's piece of tape ;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep just ground the wire and you will see your oil pressure needle on the dash move up to NORMAL and the light will go away. The check engine light will also turn on if the overtemp sender on the drivers head says that the engine is too hot.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This oil port you are talking about on the cooler header... Thats not the oil port you want. There is 4 oil ports that go to the main oil gallery. One is behind the top of the intake manifold way in the back. The other port is at the bottom of the block at the bellhousing flange. The other two are up under the oil cooler bundle and almost impossible to reach. These are all 1/8th inch pipe threads. The block has two coolant drains. One on each side of the block down low. They are both 1/4 inch plugs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online