Austin19

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this forum I created my account today I’m sure there are plenty of posts on this subject but I have little clue how to operate this website. As well as I’m new to idis. I bought a 1984 6.9 idi that was sitting for 8 years due to brake failure and the owner having a stroke. I bought it changed the starter fluids and filters plus glow plugs after that it cranked right up and ran like a top no excessive smoke or anything but there was a knocking sound it was more of a ping not a rod knock. It’s very loud if you’re laying under the transmission moderately loud if you’re standing by the drivers side door and can barely be heard if your head is in the engine bay. Did research it could be an injector knock. Loosened lines and found out when I loosened injector number 8 the ping/knock disappeared entirely replaced that injector the sound was barely there even laying under the transmission but within a few minutes it got louder. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idea? You won't like mine. Loosening the injector line took the load off the cylinder. Taking the load off, eliminated the stress on the rod bearing. Eliminating the stress on the bearing, eliminated the noise.
Pull the pan, drop the rod cap and have a look. Get some plasti-gage and stuff in a piece. Reinstall rod cap, torque it down, remove cap and then see how much, if any, it spread out.
At that point you can either put the pan back on and drive it until it really goes **** and might shove that rod through the block or pull the engine and fix it.
Too bad your not closer to me, I expect to have a 6.9 for sale in another few months.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Now, after thinking about this for a while, I have a suggestion. Since you said that this is more of a ping than a knock, pull the valve cover off and look at the rocker arms. The early style had aluminum pedestals/pivots. These like to break and there's no replacements for them. If you happen to have a broken one, the only solution is to replace them with the later, 7.3 style rocker arms.

Austin19

Reaction score
Now, after thinking about this for a while, I have a suggestion. Since you said that this is more of a ping than a knock, pull the valve cover off and look at the rocker arms. The early style had aluminum pedestals/pivots. These like to break and there's no replacements for them. If you happen to have a broken one, the only solution is to replace them with the later, 7.3 style rocker arms.
Okay thank you.

Austin19

Reaction score
Idea? You won't like mine. Loosening the injector line took the load off the cylinder. Taking the load off, eliminated the stress on the rod bearing. Eliminating the stress on the bearing, eliminated the noise.
Pull the pan, drop the rod cap and have a look. Get some plasti-gage and stuff in a piece. Reinstall rod cap, torque it down, remove cap and then see how much, if any, it spread out.
At that point you can either put the pan back on and drive it until it really goes **** and might shove that rod through the block or pull the engine and fix it.
Too bad your not closer to me, I expect to have a 6.9 for sale in another few months.
Thanks for your response I’ll look into it

Austin19

Reaction score
Any idea what a rebuild for these motors run?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Run a bottle or 2 of Restore, etc. in the oil for a few months first before a rebuild.
Where in Arkansas are you? Close to Memphis???

testlight

Reaction score
Yes check valve train.

Then run it 'till it blows.

That may take thousands and thousands of miles...