Engine is done!!! Break in???

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the engine I pulled last Sunday is done. I tore it down to the block, machined the and sleeved 3 holes, honed the rest, got one new piston and all new rings and bearings. Did a complete rebuild without a book and never having done one before, kinda scary. Put it back in last night and finished at 5:30 AM this morning. Truck starts better than I could imagine. The new solid flywheel and 12" Clutch is awsome. Good power though I have not run it up at all yet. Runs good and quiet with no leaks, makes easier boost too.

Looks like I'll be able to make my trip to Sebring pulling my crappy camper with my friends after all. Thank you guys for all your help and advice.

What should I do for a good break in? I'll be pulling a 29' camper with 5 guys and stuff, probably 8k of load I'm guessing. Leaving Wed morning. Just going to drive it everywhere I go untill then. What else should I do?

Thanks so much,

-Rob

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I would just take it easy, and do a lot of driving. I would say I wouldnt pull anything for a good 500 miles at the minimum, but thats just me.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
commercial rigs don't have the luxury of a gentle break-in. Just make sure all the fluids are good and no leaks. Throw a load on her, ease in on the throttle, and watch your gauges.;Sweet
Congratulations!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, just as towcat said, most of these engines never had the luxury of being broken in. And my .02 is that people baby these engines far too much most of the time. They need to have the living crap pulled out of them every once in a while or they will become in a way, for lack of better words, sedentary.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Change the oil before you leave on your trip and then drive it like you stole it...The big thing is to try not to maintain a constant engine speed for long periods of time....Mix it up a bit and don't be afraid to make it work a little.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to hustle on that engine rebuild.;Sweet Glad it has worked out so well thus far. I have to say I am very surprised you were able to get the machine work and engine assembly done so fast. It's always taken longer for me to get any machine work done then it took you to rebuild your engine. And as already mentioned just try not to run at a constant speed/rpm for too long. Yes it will upset the other drivers on the road but you've got more at stake then their opinion of you. Enjoy your trip.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's exactly the news I wanted to hear. Whats wrong with a constant engine speed? Should I keep from hitting to high an rpm before shifting?

The machinist is a nice old guy who has done some other work for me and a few friends, I explained my situation and he said he would get it done. Would have had it done in a day if I had supplied him with the new piston in time. Most of the time went to pressure washing and painting every part that came off. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I disassembled every part and painted it. Cleanest that engine compartment has been in a long time.

-Rob

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your motor will tell you when to shift.
really.
for my truck,
1st to 2nd happens around 22-2300rpm
2nd to 3rd happens around 25-2700rpm
3rd to 4th is the same as 2nd to 3rd
4th to 5th happens to 3k rpm.
remember, I have a zf5 in mine and your results will vary.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Your motor will tell you when to shift.
really.
for my truck,
1st to 2nd happens around 22-2300rpm
2nd to 3rd happens around 25-2700rpm
3rd to 4th is the same as 2nd to 3rd
4th to 5th happens to 3k rpm.
remember, I have a zf5 in mine and your results will vary.

I think it kinda depends on the road, and if your hauling anything. Like if you had to start out on a 6% grade that was a couple miles long with 10K pounds, then your going to be shifting off the govenor.

But my shift points are usually

1st to 2nd, 1500rpms (when cold), 2000rpms normally, 3300 rpms showing off
2nd to 3rd, 2000rpms (when cold), 2300-2500 normally, or 3300 for the above
3rd to 4th, 2000rpms (when cold), 2500rpms normally, or 3300 :D

when towing, all shifts are basically above 3000rpm's for me (I let the truck warm up to at least 140* water temp before I leave when hauling a load).