Engine coolant temp

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am back home from a 3 and a 1/2 week job in Texas. While I was gone I had another engine put in my pickup. Have a water temp issue, my temp will go from 190* to 205* and then back to 195* and back and forth. Because the new engine came from a 91 and mine is a 93 I thought the water pump might be turning back wards because my truck has a serpentine belt but that is not the case. I guess I need to look at the thermostat, I priced one at Autozone and had a stroke, $28 for one. So I a going to pull the one out of my old motor and try it. After that if that I don't know where to go as the radiator is less than a year ago and was fine when the engine was replaced.

Jim

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it opens at 205 and closes at 195, most cars open at 210 and close at 195, you must have a very sensitive guage to read that

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you didn't change or at least pull and look at the thermoatat I think you have the wrong one in the new motor. Its either that or just an air pocket by the way you tell us that it jumps up and down like its an air problem. The onlt thermostat to use is the Ford or International one. The Ford number is E5TZ-8575-C. It starts to open at 192* and is fully open at 212*. Check in the Parts Bin for the International numbers. Towcat posted lots of part numbers for most of the usual replaced parts.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
More than likely, it's going to take some time to stabilize. When you drain the coolant, it take a couple of warm up cycles to get all the air out.
As stated, use only the OEM Thermostat. Others do not function correctly in our trucks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok lucky.... If this is the stat from the new motor and.... You didn't look at it how do you know its the correct stat??? But more than likely its just an air pocket. Just keep a watch on the coolant overflow tank and make sure its full and the line is not slow or has some crap in it. These blocks do take plenty of "time" to vent out all the air after a coolant change.... Unless you have one of those neet vacuum filler systems... Then you know all the air is out and its full of coolant..... Something on my wish list...