engine block serial # location

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i'm double checking the location of that all-important number that tells if you have an old or newer style 6.9 (and if the block heater area is weak or not)

from what i know, this number is located on the top of the block, near the timing gear cover, on the right side. it looks like this...

You must be registered for see images attach

i forget the actual cutoff # but i want to say it's around 17x,***. lower numbers are prone to cracking around the block heater and higher numbers are not. am i correct?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i was sent this message regarding the 6.9 i have for sale-

"Can you find either this # (c/n 1805440C1) or this # (c/n 1807996C1). The first is the pre
'84 series and the last is the final one. Someone might know the significance of the one you
did find but those others relate to the two different 6.9 blocks."

i am unfamiliar with these numbers, i thought the number shown in the picture is the one used to determine what block i have. if this is not the case, where on the engine should i look for these other numbers?

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is just a guess, but the first letter on the pic you gave us was a "B" which probably means its a b block. I had thought only the a blocks were prone to cracking... IDK for sure

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
An "A" block can crack if the block heater is used, its best just to get rid of the block heater,
And im not sure how you can tell the years apart with numbers so someone else will have too

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The numbers the buyer sent you are the block casting numbers. They are differant from the block serial numbers. Also the numbers on that block pic seems like they have been altered. All the block serial numbers I have ever seem are all in the same line. The 6.9 motors starts like this... D6.9 and then the numbers.... The 7.3 has the D 7.3 first... The A block is the one you don't want.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The numbers given to you appear to be international serial numbers. IDK, but the Ford blocks may not have the IH numbers. Like the others have said, I've only heard that the A blocks are the ones with issues.

Per international: page 88.

On 6.9 and 7.3 IDI the can be identified by a permanent eninge number stamped on the front top left side of the engine. The first three positions indicate the engine displacement. The forth "D" indicated the engine is naturally aspirated. 5th and 6th digits indicate that the engine was built for truck use. The 7th "U" indicates is was built in the USA. The rest represent the engine serial number. Early 6.9 serial numbers below 59208 are know as 6.9 A engines. Numbers 59209 and above are 6.9 B engines. 7.3 serial numbers begin with 500001.

Heath

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
The numbers the buyer sent you are the block casting numbers. They are differant from the block serial numbers. Also the numbers on that block pic seems like they have been altered. All the block serial numbers I have ever seem are all in the same line. The 6.9 motors starts like this... D6.9 and then the numbers.... The 7.3 has the D 7.3 first... The A block is the one you don't want.

that's funny, out of the 5 IDI engines i've had go through my hands, every one had a serial number that looked like some crazed prison escapee stamped it.cookoo

i'll have a look around the engine for some other numbers. i really thought the serial number i posted told the story. i guess i was misinformed way back on TDS when i first got into these trucks.:dunno if not, then by my analysis of the serial number, i do have a later block.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked 69oiler about both the block and head numbers (casting) to determine if it had the
later items. The numbers I gave came from an article about the same. I believe either casting numbers or serial numbers would work, I only had those from the article.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... it seems that as with many small things, not all results will yeild the same observation. I also have only seen serial numbers in a streight line, but the numbers Rob reports are in the correct location, so they must be the right numbers. :dunno Personally, I don't worry about seral numbers that much. My Model A block is just as good as any of the other ones I have. You might go to all kinds of effort to get a good block number and end up with some other catastrophic problem. Just don't use the block heater, and don't sweat it.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
ok i had a chance to go where the engine is and looked and found these numbers. also i took a pic of the hole where the block heater should be...it's plugged.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'd say that block has been rebuild before. Thats not a bad thing either if it was done correctly. It just looks like the original block serial numbers were ground off and imprinted later by a rebuilder so they knew it was their block. As for early or late block I'm thinking its an early block... I'm really not up on the 6.9 blocks... Sorry:dunno

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Can you find either this # (c/n 1805440C1) or this # (c/n 1807996C1). The first is the pre
'84 series and the last is the final one.

well going by this, and going by the serial number, i have a later block.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i had a chance to go where the engine is and looked and found these numbers. also i took a pic of the hole where the block heater should be...it's plugged.

Those are nothing but casting numbers, they mean Date-Shift-Time-Mold-etc.

On 6.9 and 7.3 IDI the can be identified by a permanent eninge number stamped on the front top left side of the engine. The first three positions indicate the engine displacement. The forth "D" indicated the engine is naturally aspirated. 5th and 6th digits indicate that the engine was built for truck use. The 7th "U" indicates is was built in the USA. The rest represent the engine serial number. Early 6.9 serial numbers below 59208 are know as 6.9 A engines. Numbers 59209 and above are 6.9 B engines. 7.3 serial numbers begin with 500001.

That's the correct place and numbers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86