Emissions laws around Denver, CO

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be seeing similar property taxes here.

Colorado is in a bit of a tug a war politically right now with all the younger people moving in...we could use some older conservatives to help set the balance right again.

Climate is nice here...yes we do have snow but folks can golf in January too. Denver is considered a dessert and humidity is often 10-20% in the summer so swamp coolers work great.

Only way I would move is if it was to the beach somewhere or if the liberals totally took over.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$ 1498 a year for property tax a year. Lol I pay that more than that a quarter.
true, but the 50th percentile median wages in your profession down here (that is full time) is $30,395...

But in NYC, it's $86,590 as per US Department bureau of Labor, New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ Metropolitan Division...

Looks like you are just swimming in money... Almost 3 times what you would make if you were down here in Florida...

But still, you're paying a higher share or portion of your income for property taxes than you would if you were in Florida...

My point was that I think it's always a good thing to go where taxes are lower but your purchasing power (cost of living to wages) is better than where you are now.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be seeing similar property taxes here.

Colorado is in a bit of a tug a war politically right now with all the younger people moving in...we could use some older conservatives to help set the balance right again.
Like me! :D

Only way I would move is if it was to the beach somewhere or if the liberals totally took over.

Trust me, the beach is over rated...LOL

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I faced a similar situation years ago, potentially moving to California. The emissions hassle was one reason I decided not to stay. The cops were actively looking for new arrivals that hadn't yet changed driver's licenses and paid all the state's regulatory fees. There were fines for late compliance, and an out of state license plate seen at an apartment complex for a week or so was an easy target.

I kept my current license and vehicle registration, and left a few months later. When questioned by a cop, I explained I was there for a 30-day job and he didn't pursue the matter. Check out Colorado's residency requirements for a better read on when you have to start paying the state. I'm sure there are other forums that can tell how aggressive the residency rules are enforced.

You might want to get your vehicle tested locally if possible, and if it complies with Colorado standards, that's one less hassle. If it fails, you'll have better information to make your decision.

I travel at altitudes of 5000-6000ft ASL, and a properly tuned 6000lb IDI - E4OD doesn't have any trouble moving around and hitting 75mph on the flats. Up hills the overdrive is certainly a help. Towing 6000lbs is slow only going up hills.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, lilHank said that Elbert county doesn't have emissions and Elbert is only about 35 miles from the office I would be working out from, so no worries on the emissions there...

Are you turboed or N/A?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
My vans are all 7.3 NA with E4OD. Mostly all original, but an overhauled IP, new injectors and glowplugs on one of them really made a big difference.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, there's no doubt about that!

I really hope to have a turbo and Moose pump with Moose Misters to go with that. I've got a Kent Moore Tach and Time to set the timing, so that will be the easy part...

I am relieved to hear about you scooting along at altitude, if I'm not whistling by then it won't be too bad... I already drive like an old man anyway... LOL

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in MA we are right up there with fees and regulations it seems. When I first brought my IDI here in 2007, there was an obligatory opacity test and a pain in the ass because most inspection places could not do it. I just pulled the paper out of the file and my truck passed with a 1.7 out of 40 as an upper limit. My truck came from CA via a brief residence in WI. After that the test was no longer required in MA. The current law requires it only for GVWR > 10,000 if not equipped for OBD. The OBD is only required back to 2001.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, Colorado has a 4.65% state income rate and New Jersey has a 8.97% rate AND property taxes in some areas I was looking at was about $75 for a 5 acre
Florida does have some outrageous property taxes... In the small town of Osteen where I live, a small three bedroom, two bath house on 3/4 of an acres (also where I live) was accessed by the property tax appraiser to the tune of $1498 for the year of 2014...

jeezz thats almsot half of what I pay in ortonville MI, that sjust my summer taxes alone!. I knwo a guy in Ann Arbor, 8k a yea rin property tax. now thats crazy.

regarding purchasing power..i love MI compared to my old home, ontario Canada. 2x the price for fuel, 13% sales tax, income tax as a single male was like 34% vs 30% here, everything is just more in general, and the wage for a starting position in my field is the same or lower by 5-10k.

dpmnt get me started on housing in the greater toronto area. small little shack from the 50s will sell for a million bucks 30 mins north of the downtown core. Parents house went up almost 2.5x in 14 years and theyre 4 cities over from toronto!

to keep it vehicle related: emissions SUCK in ontario, its just like cali. etesting every year (50$) over 100$ a year for vehicle stickers, need commercial stickers for any truck over 9000 lbs gross, fines, inspections, beurocracy etc

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ Towcat;

I hadn't heard of that, I've been back in Florida for a couple of years and they don't have inspections... As soon as I move to a state with vehicle inspections, Tx requires me to get one from that state. Also, I usually go a few years with out inspections (because I'm in Fl.), but I've got 48 hours to get it inspected as soon as I cross into Tx.

I've been out of Tx for so long, I've renewed my registration every year online for about 8 years now and have it mailed to what ever state I'm in at the time of renewal. I've renewed my driver's license once online now and my present registration and driver's license both have my old Daytona address on it! No lie!

Everywhere I go,I leave the cops scratching their heads...:sly

Anyway, that's how I was able to stay legal, but now I need to stay on top of any changes in Tx inspection requirements... Thanks Towcat, I doubly appreciate the heads up!

I've been checking out the demand for labor, how deep chronologically the need (work backlog) for labor, cost of fuel (cheap) and the cost of living (land about a hour and half southwest can be had with water rights for basically 5 grand per acre...).

I think I need to check the laws pertaining to firearms and then decide if I'll stay or or homestead in Dumas, Tx (4.5 hours away)...

So, I still haven't finalized plans, but it is looking more attractive the more I look at it...

I won't be going until just before June and there is a guy with a good complete banks sidewinder for $700 near me... I think I will snag that quickly so I won't have any breathing problems in Colorado... Good plan, huh? :sly
check out this link for the latest in vehicle inspections. btw.....the implementation starts March 2015.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/singleStickerGuide.htm

also, check out this site too. prolly simpler to understand.

http://twostepsonesticker.com/

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: Oh gawd!

That was confusing as hell...

There's no information on what out of staters like me have to do to satisfy the Texas inspection requirements...

It used to be that if a Texan was out of state and his inspection sticker ran out, he had to get the vehicle inspected in that state's inspection program. I had to do that once when I was assigned to Charlotte for 12 months. After that, I lived in Alabama for 2 years and they have no inspections there. Then I moved to Fl and they have no inspections there also. Then in June, 2015, I moved to Houston and got it inspected with no problem on the day I got in.

Even though the truck had no inspections for 4 years, it was ok and legal. Texas law provided me a legal defense, I was working out of state for all of that time.

I never had any problems until now... I went to the twostep website, then to 'contact us' and explained my situation and asked what out of state Texans have to do now.

You would think that information would be out front in the faqs... No, not ****...

When they respond, I'll post it here...

Thanks, Towcat! ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: Oh gawd!

That was confusing as hell...

There's no information on what out of staters like me have to do to satisfy the Texas inspection requirements...

It used to be that if a Texan was out of state and his inspection sticker ran out, he had to get the vehicle inspected in that state's inspection program. I had to do that once when I was assigned to Charlotte for 12 months. After that, I lived in Alabama for 2 years and they have no inspections there. Then I moved to Fl and they have no inspections there also. Then in June, 2015, I moved to Houston and got it inspected with no problem on the day I got in.

Even though the truck had no inspections for 4 years, it was ok and legal. Texas law provided me a legal defense, I was working out of state for all of that time.

I never had any problems until now... I went to the twostep website, then to 'contact us' and explained my situation and asked what out of state Texans have to do now.

You would think that information would be out front in the faqs... No, not ****...

Thanks, Towcat! ;Sweet
glad to be of help. :D
we "might" fall under the "fleet exemption" category. but hey, there's nothing better than emailing and asking :D

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's gotta be a real headache... Trying to wrap my head around that and keep it separate from the other states would be rather challenging and a painful brain sprain... :eek:

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They haven't responded yet, but I went to Bexar county's website and went through the renewal process and I can get it with no problems because it's before the new law takes effect.

Also, for Texas registered vehicles in another state with no inspections, just follow the law, keep it registered in Texas and whenever vehicle enters Texas, get it inspected within three days. Next year it will be a whole different ball game on account of some "synchronicity" thing about the sticker means it not only is registered, but it passes vehicle inspection and synchronizes both to expire at the same time.

Wow! It just amazes me how present day lawmakers and administrators can actually make things more complicated than it needs to be. What happened to "If it ain't broke, it don't need fixing"? Arrgh!!!

Anyway, that's what I'm able to acertian from information on Bexar county's Tax Assessor website...

When I get the response from the question I asked earlier, I'll post it here...