eliminating steering wander

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for ways to tighten up my steering. I've already replaced the steering arms. I'm thinking maybe the Ball joints, still need to jack up the front end and see how much play I get out of them but with 230,000 miles on 'em (pretty sure they are original) I'm farly certain they are worn. Also thinking of replacing axle pivot bushings (where the axle connects to the frame) anyone with an opinion on the effect these upgrades will have please chime in and also anybody with any other ideas let me know. Only other thing I can think of is having the steering box rebuilt.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
More than llikely your in need of a complete front end rebuild. Steering box included. Don't forget to check the leaf spring bushings, front and rear.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Is good to have a ball joint removal kit for the bj and the pivot bearings, this last ones are a bit of a pain to remove with a hammer.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also tighten up the steering box by adjusting the locknut ontop of the gearbox. (break locknut loose then turn screw in 1/2 turn, tighten locknut and test) Make sure the rest of your steering components are good first. I had to tighten mine over 2 turns before it was tight again, but it had 200,000 on it and was probibly never adjusted before.
Make sure you fix any other worn out parts BEFORE you adjust this.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
If you haven't already done it have someone turn the steering wheel side to side as far as they can without the wheels moving with the engine running. Get under the front end and look for movement in places there shouldn't be any. Ford steering gears can be pretty loose, look at the rag jount going into the gear and the steering arm coming out and see how much lost motion there is between the motion that goes in and the motion that comes out. Tightening the mesh screw is not always the answer. A lot of the slop can be the fit of the ball bearings in the recirculating ball worm gear. Also the Torrington bearing that supports the sector shaft is not a very tight fit from the factory. There is a steering gear rebuilder in Seattle that selectively fits oversize balls in those gears and I believe he is the only that does that. I bought a rebuilt gear from NAPA and it was no better than what I had, had Red Head Steering Gears (206-364-3333) go through my original gear and is way better.

Jim

broncobilly_69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also tighten up the steering box by adjusting the locknut ontop of the gearbox. (break locknut loose then turn screw in 1/2 turn, tighten locknut and test) Make sure the rest of your steering components are good first. I had to tighten mine over 2 turns before it was tight again, but it had 200,000 on it and was probibly never adjusted before.
Make sure you fix any other worn out parts BEFORE you adjust this.

just out of curiosity, why is it important to ensure all other components are good before tightening up the steering box?

Jim73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably because most of the time the big slop is coming from things like rod ends and ball joints. Maybe it was to caution against OVER tightening the sector mesh adjustment. It's pretty common for guys to do so because it's quick and dirty. You do NOT want to do that - overtightening it can accelerate wear, and possibly increase effort (because you've essentially used up all the operating clearances and you're wearing metal!) in an extreme case, and you'll wind up with MORE slop from the box in the end. Most recirculating ball boxes specify a given peak torque in inch-pounds, measured with the pitman disconnected in the vehicle - in that case you use a socket to connect the pointer-style torque wrench to the wheel retaining nut in the cab. Obviously you need to pull the horn pad for access, and you also need to disconnect the P.S. fluid line at the resrvoir, cap the reservoir, then put the return line end in a bucket and run the wheel back and forth several times to clear fluid. For the Ford integral power box, my 88 manual says you then rotate to the right until you're 45 degrees short of the right stop, then slowly rotate 1/8 turn back towards center and note the required torque. Now, turn back to center and record torque going back and forth across center, plus or minus 90 degrees. For any truck with more than 5000 miles on it, the spec value is 10-14 inch lbs more effort going over center than you recorded over near the right stop, with adjustment recommended only if you're showing LESS than 7 in-lbs difference. Doing this last is smart - you may not need adjustment. With a little help and some leverage, you can measure play in other front end components and the majority of the time, THAT is where you'll find your problems.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
A little more on the mesh adjustment issue. I was in the shop with Harvey, the owner of Red Head Steering Gears when he did my gear. He showed me the control valve in the gear is operated by a torque rod about 6" long. He said if the mesh is set too tight the torque rod will not respond like it is supposed to. It will create a situation where there is no center to the steering and you will be chasing it all the time.

A not approved, non scientific way to tighten the mesh is to jack up the front end and turn the wheel back and forth through center with the engine running and it is possible to feel that increase in through center torque. Tighten it until you feel a slight increase in drag when you go through center then back off a little. Kind of a barnyard way to do it but if you are careful you can get pretty close. Unfortunately that won't fix the loose balls on the recirculating worm or the loose Torrington bearing on the sector shaft.

I an so **** about trying to get my gear perfect I am having a bronze bushing made and honed to fit in place of the Torrington on the sector shaft.

Jim

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was just reading in the little yellow maintenance booklet that came with my 1985 when new.

The booklet is out in the truck; but, I think it said to adjust the mesh of the steering gear every 12, or maybe 24, months.

My truck has well over half a million hard trailer-towing miles and the gear has never been touched.

Maybe that is why it seems to feel like the steering wheel is not connected to the tires, sometimes.

I am going to install the premium Borgeson shaft, and look into adjusting the gear.

You experts that have already done this just keep talking; I am soaking this all in for when I do mine. ;Sweet

Thanks.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The steering gear preload adjustment is a tricky thing. To tight, and there's the possibility of breaking the sector shaft, causing a no steer condition. VERY dangerous @ 60 MPH.

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
The previous post regarding the possibility of breaking the sector shaft by adjusting the mesh improperly is totally BS!!!!!

Jim