Electronic fuel pump conversion

Scooch

Reaction score
@BeastMaster I agree the electrical connections are a pretty poor setup but you can fix it so they stay on much better. And as far as I was aware the carter's don't have fuel pressure drop issues like people see with the facet pumps. If you have a motor setup with injection pump and turbo way over stock then something like a holley black regulated down is the way to go

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raydav, what turbo system do you have under and back of the engine like that.

I have a 2001 PSD E350 and an 84 in which I first installed a 7.3 IDI NA and recently a 93 7.3 IDI turbo engine.

After I installed the first 7.3 IDI, I figured the two engines are the same size, Ford might have known what they were doing when the put the turbo on the PSD, so I installed a turbo meant for a 7.3 PSD.

It has worked well. It is remote, on the frame at about the rear of the transmission. When I installed the turbo engine I did not change anything related to the turbo.

I have a 1/2 inch line to a scavenge pump, then a 3/8 line to the oil filler housing. If I remove the filler cap I can see the oil being returned.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advise on Airdog Raptor or Carter diesel lift pumps?

The airdog seems really expensive, but if its a highly reliable one time purchase, I'll probably spring for it.

Looks to me like Carter is cutting corners to the point they are more trouble than its worth... Things like push on electrical connectors that vibrate loose, then followed by IP problems due to loss of fuel pressure.

I doubt Carter makes those pumps. I have one that came in a Carter box on my 65 Mustang. It probably has thirty thousand miles on it. I have three more in another brand, and I cannot tell the difference. One of those ran three times, for a few seconds each time and froze. I have a second one of that lot on my 73 Mustang. We went to the 55Th Mustang birthday party/Mustang Owners Museum opening in Charlton, NC and are now in KY on our way home to SoCal. This pump has had no issues.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If everything (fuel system wise) is correct, and stockish, I'd say the factory original can't be beat. However my truck has Holley Red, mounted to the truck frame between tanks & selector valve. Removed mechanical pump and installed block off plate. Mine has been this way for ( guessing), 10 years.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not at all. I've done this for over 10 years. I've always been N/A though.:( I know that this may change after I finally get a turbo installed and need more fuel volume. At least it would be an easy delete.

My van has had at least two of these since about 1995. That is 460, before turbo and after turbo. I think I had one wear out in that time.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JJvgbhPM5gAQEGfZ9

Papa Travis

Reaction score
Ok...so here it is. The ‘ what the situation was tail’. My ‘86’ f350 with the 6.9 had to get pushed into my shop (not totally heated) because it gelled up outside at -25* below last winter. I had to take the plow mounting brackets off of one truck (sitting outside) and put them on this one...an old boss RT1 plow. I got that done...it took a while. In the mean time I had it started and running for about 2 minutes after I changed the fuel filter.
I changed glow plugs (3 were bad) and ordered O rings and hose for injectors and never changed them.
After plugging the truck in everyday trying to get fuel to the injectors the frost plug went to hell so I put in a 1500 W tank heater. In 15 minutes I can’t touch the hoses...it gets hot quick...good.
I could never get enough fuel to start the damn thing even with lava temp antifreeze.
I started looking at the fuel lines from the dual tanks which were full...so I thought. The tank selector was on the front tank and switching it did nothing. It turns out that the front tank was plumbed to the switchover valve and lines were cut on the exit...tank is full, I made sure. The rear tank bypassed the valve and went to the engine lift (mech) pump...and empty.
I’ve been sucking air the whole time. And that’s why I had to push it into the shop...no gelling.
Who new. I just bought this truck a month before all this...I added fuel.
It starts and runs now thanks to petrol. It still takes some cranking to get it started so I’ll put in an electronic pump to prime. Oh...I also changed out the mechanical lift pump...for pointless good measure.
Hey...the plow works real good.
I’ve included a snap of my fuel sys. As it currently is.

You must be registered for see images attach

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a facet plumbed in tandem with my mechanical. I tried facet alone and it ran out of fuel when working hard. By plumbing it after the mechanical, I avoided the issue with having the electric fill the crankcase when the mechanical fails.
I see 10-12 psi at the filterhead at idle and never have low fuel under load any more.
I didn't know this was possible !! I love that idea,that way there's no being stranded if electric one fails!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online