Electrical gremlins, no crank

mac

Reaction score
Dual batt. setup, starter battery is only a couple weeks old, will be load-testing them tomorrow to be sure.

Replaced the belts and re-tightened them all, so a loose alternator belt isn't to blame.
I don't think its the alternator itself, as the past couple days its started out cranking real slow and then increased speed, as if the alt. was providing a little juice.
Then tonight instead of picking up speed and finally firing it just drained the battery and died. Jumped it, brought it home, tightened the belts (alternator belt was a bit loose), jumped it again, drove a good 30 min at highway speed, electrical components were strong and healthy... tells me that the charging system is good at least. Brought it home and killed it, waited a few seconds and started it up again... cranked much slower than normal but fired after a good 5 seconds of cranking. Waited 30 seconds and killed it. Went out for 30-45 min, came home and tried again to make sure it'd be on its feet for work tomorrow... cranked a few times and died :frustrate. From how it felt after I killed it and started it I'd guess that a good 10-15 seconds of being off would have drained her enough to prevent cranking.
All this has me thinkin parasitic load... a short would most likely prevent starting regardless of the voltage or amps running through, whereas a parasitic load only consumes so much. Anybody second this? Disagree? Where should I begin my search? Any other possibilities?
Thanks in advance.

suv7734

Reaction score
Remove and clean all connections including the grounds at the block. Check the cables for any signs of corrosion at the connectors as well as cracked insulation.
It really sounds like the starter is done. If it's not cranking over faster than you can count the revolutions it's not cranking fast enough.
BTW it is not a good idea to replace only one battery in a dual battery system because the weaker one will draw the new one
'to it'.

cheetah

Reaction score
Get a charger on it and let it sit all night. If your still getting the same symptoms, it's probably a bad battery(s).

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like he has a drain with the key off, Dome lights, glove box, hood light, electric fuel pump, GP relay.... just a thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726