Electric fuel pump power wire

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, those of you that are running an electric fuel pump, where did you take the power from for it?

I know I need a 12V switched signal, and was wondering if there was a handy spot under the hood that I could possibly tap into to run that wire...

Oh, to clarify, I'm planning to run the actual power through a relay, I just need a switch wire.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i found an open terminal in my fuse panel. it was keyed power, so just took from that. only thing i still might do is put a toggle on it. even on accy the pump runs.

OB_WAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at doing something similar. take this with a grain of salt.

Well, here's the alldata diagram for wiring. Looks like a Red wire with Light Green strip is the ticket. one goes in to the glowplug relay as well as other locations(starter relay? alternator?)

Attachments

• alldata IDI E40D starter system electrical.gif
    alldata IDI E40D starter system electrical.gif
    46.1 KB · Views: 64

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the same as above. Ran from battery through fuse and toggle switch to pump. Works great that way.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd rather use a relay than a switch...just seems like a cleaner install.

I'll have to look for that red/light green wire at the GP controller sometime.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ever you do, consider a double pole/center off switch, so that in one position, the pump runs when the key is on, and in the other postion it runs with the key off or on. The center position is your anti-theft device. LOL

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I did as Mel said and also put a oil pressure switch on mine. It's a 7 psi and grounds at anything above 7 psi. I used it to ground the relay, and then used another ground for my constant on side of my toggle. The constant on is great for priming the system after fuel filter changes and such as well as checking flow and pressure when the need arises (after bumping a plastic line during my cab mount change, it was also good for locating leaks!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online