EGTs and WVO

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been running WVO in my truck now for about 2 years. Never had a pyrometer and never really worried about it too much. I finally got a replacement thermocouple amplifier in my homemade oil controller to make use of the thermocouple I installed a year ago.

You must be registered for see images attach

This thermocouple is in the manifold between cylinders 5 and 8.

So yesterday was my first trip with a trailer while watching EGTs on WVO. I was pulling my boat, which is probably around 1000 lbs. I found that any bit of acceleration would bring the EGTs up to 1000 very easily. And hills would push 1100 or 1150. I saw over 1200 at one point climbing a large Hill. This is all with cruise control on and going 65 to 70mph.

Now, since I haven't had the Pyro running long, I don't really have a baseline to compare to as far as diesel would perform, but from what i read so far, it seems that EGTs on WVO are generally higher than on diesel.

One small detail about my controller, I have coded in an alarm to sound if EGTs exceed 900 degrees. This was quite annoying yesterday on my 5 hour trip. So I plan to add a setting in the controller to allow adjustment to this alarm. What would you guys say is a reasonable temp to sound the alarm? I'm thinking 1200 degrees and it starts beeping?

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may need to play with your timing on WVO. It may like a little different timing than the D2 does.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the timing goes, that's on my list of to do's. I've got a timing Meter, just need to find the time to do it.

When I first got the wvo system primed this spring, I bumped up my wvo fuel pump pressure to get it to prime, and forgot about it. Took it for a drive and it sounded exactly like the timing advance was activated. Got home and checked the pressure, I was running at 25 psi. I backed it down to about 10 and now it "sounds" normal, but I don't know where the timing really is.

How does ignition timing and EGTs correlate? more Advanced =hotter EGTS?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends... Oil has a higher BTU output however it burns slower (retards timing) meaning by the time the exhaust valves are opening, combustion is still happening causing higher then normal EGT readings. I would bump the timing say 1.5-2 degrees and see if it makes a difference.

As for safe EGT limit, I would say 1200-1250F continuous is safe. When it starts creeping over 1200, I would be backing out of the pedal.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well 1150°F is a good safe zone. 1200° is ok too. 1250° is pretty much the max and should just be avoided. Aluminum melts at 1221°F but it would take some time for the piston to reach that temperature because of its mass and its thermal properties. Engine oil temperatures may also get pretty high with long durations of high EGTs because of the heat the heads are enduring, and the oil squirters in the block that blast oil on the bottom of the piston are drawing that heat out and into the oil as well.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is interesting because I've never seen any drastic changes in egts between diesel and WMO, loaded or unloaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also consider the accuracy of the EGT gauge. If for some reason it reads lower than actual temp, you could run into problems. My probe is in the up-pipe side of the exhaust housing of my turbo, thanks to ATS' design, so it reads lower than manifold temperature. The instructions say to not let it go past 1150° and I certainly abide by that.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is interesting because I've never seen any drastic changes in egts between diesel and WMO, loaded or unloaded

Do you use the same fuel pump for both diesel and wmo?

I know that lift pump pressure has an effect on IP timing. I use the mechanical lift pump for diesel, and an electric pump for wvo, so I wonder if that difference in fuel pressure is altering my timing on top of the fuel characteristic effects.

As far as the alarm goes, sounds like I'll set it to 1200 so that I'm aware when I get above that range.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also consider the accuracy of the EGT gauge. If for some reason it reads lower than actual temp, you could run into problems. My probe is in the up-pipe side of the exhaust housing of my turbo, thanks to ATS' design, so it reads lower than manifold temperature. The instructions say to not let it go past 1150° and I certainly abide by that.
I'm not too sure on the accuracy. I'll have to do some more checking on that.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you use the same fuel pump for both diesel and wmo?

I know that lift pump pressure has an effect on IP timing. I use the mechanical lift pump for diesel, and an electric pump for wvo, so I wonder if that difference in fuel pressure is altering my timing on top of the fuel characteristic effects.

As far as the alarm goes, sounds like I'll set it to 1200 so that I'm aware when I get above that range.

Yes same fuel pump for both. My old electric pump I had set to 14 psi just to help get oil through the filter. Now I run a 6 psi pump and the truck runs much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online