Egt gauge

John Scott

Reaction score
Ok everyone.... don't kill me on this one .. in one of our discussions u guys were talking about a egt gauge that read out in digital and it was a square unit someone mounted beside the wait to start lamp... and even sent me a link to get one and I've lost the link... does anyone remember or know what unit this was??.... thanks to all

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see any substantial benefit, but if I was going to run two I'd run one in each manifold. At least you'll be able to tell if something is different between the two.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The biggest issue that I can see is if they don't read fairly close to each other. If they're both less than 100* apart, I'd be pretty happy. If they're not then which one do you go by?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue that I can see is if they don't read fairly close to each other. If they're both less than 100* apart, I'd be pretty happy. If they're not then which one do you go by?

My opinion is, you flip them and see if the irregularly moves. If not, in theory something is wrong upstream, assuming the sensors are located at the same spot in the manifold.

I can't imagine why they SHOULD read different, unless you have a bad injector, or a sticking valve or something?

Sure I'm over thinking it, that's what I'm good at lol.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pre and post turbo would be cool (assuming that your truck has a turbo, of course).

Fision

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make dual egt gauges. It’d simplify mounting and the needles are side by side; differences would be obvious at a glance.

https://hewittindustries.com/product/010-301/

Like chillman88 mentioned, a probe located in each exhaust manifold would also help indicate or diagnose engine issues. If there’s a significant difference you know something is wrong.

Last edited:

John Scott

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input.... my thought is most of u seam to like this gauge u have recommended and I have the glow shift gauges and some have said they r not worthy so insted of upsetting my sick lookn gauge pack I would add this one and that way I could have a reference.... in the airplane I have 2 sometimes 3 instruments for the same info so I can rely on the information im getting....

New moose pump and injectors and turbo is new to.... truck runs outstanding... can even spin the rear dually tires... lol... I like the idea of putting a prob in both manifolds

cre1992

Reaction score
in the airplane I have 2 sometimes 3 instruments for the same info

Some not all airplanes have gauges for multiple things. You’re probably thinking of flight instruments. Almost all airplanes are all about redundancy. When your truck has a major mechanical problem you can typically just pull over... an airplane doesn’t have that luxury... You also check all of the fluids before flying (or should) and perform an engine run up to make sure everything is in the green (good). How many of us can not say we check the fluids, do a complete walk around inspection, and do a run up each and every time we jump into our trucks. Having the tools to diagnose/monitor your engine, doesn't make it fool proof. That being said here’s a picture I took a couple weeks back when I was flying. Each cylinder has its own EGT and CHT probes/sensors. Cylinder 2 had a high EGT and low CHT... the cause... that cylinder had a bad injector that was over fueling the cylinder. Didn't show on the run up.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a very detailed installation of the Auber gauges. Mine has red EGT and green boost pressure. See the first page of "my turbo tale" installation thread in my signature.

John Scott

Reaction score
Some not all airplanes have gauges for multiple things. You’re probably thinking of flight instruments. Almost all airplanes are all about redundancy. When your truck has a major mechanical problem you can typically just pull over... an airplane doesn’t have that luxury... You also check all of the fluids before flying (or should) and perform an engine run up to make sure everything is in the green (good). How many of us can not say we check the fluids, do a complete walk around inspection, and do a run up each and every time we jump into our trucks. Having the tools to diagnose/monitor your engine, doesn't make it fool proof. That being said here’s a picture I took a couple weeks back when I was flying. Each cylinder has its own EGT and CHT probes/sensors. Cylinder 2 had a high EGT and low CHT... the cause... that cylinder had a bad injector that was over fueling the cylinder. Didn't show on the run up.

What kind of plane do u fly and out of where??... CRE??.... I actually have a tiger and I'm out of CRE.... interesting

John Scott

Reaction score
I posted a very detailed installation of the Auber gauges. Mine has red EGT and green boost pressure. See the first page of "my turbo tale" installation thread in my signature.
I would like to ready that... do u have the link to the article

John Scott

Reaction score
I will say this... I took the rig out for a long trip this passed weekend and it did GREAT... but with trans temp. Egts. Boost on the A puller and oil pressure amp gauge water temp all in the dash a though went through my mind that the plane was easier to fly than watchn all these gauges... lol... so here's a run down on what I saw...

Trans temp 160 most of the time
Boost was 5 to 8 on inclines at 55 around 4 to maintain 55 when flat
Egts would go up at first but as boost went up and trans shifted down egts went down... but didn't get over 1050... I also was able to relax the egt climb buy relaxing the go peddle and just letting the truck work to get over hills
Water temp and oil pressure didn't move...

So all n all im supper happy with the way she pulled