EGR delete or not?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
While searching the many ways to delete the EGR on My 05 PSD I came upon this website, what do You gurus think about this?
I found kits from tuners costing $200 to kit for $800, I still can't make up My mind on what to do about it, the comments from many sound like they know what they talk about yet they disagree.I'm not so worried about the cost but really don't want to do it more than once. Please help.
Btw I did search on the FTE site someone mentioned here and they don't seem to agree on one thing.

Thanks.

tractorman86

Reaction score
I personally like deletes, I will go with the welded full kit from river city diesel. The question is are you bound by emissions testing? If so, don't risk having to put a cooler back on just to pass after you installed a delete. As for coolers I know bullet proof diesel makes a very good unit but they are a but spendey, I've never heard of the one you linked, but I have heard sinister diesel makes a good cooler also. I hope it helped some

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Nope, diesel are exempt from emissions here in MD and I hope it stays this way.
I will look in to the ones You said.

Thanks.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I put a bulletproof cooler on my truck and they are kinda pricy. They do guarantee that it will not fail again for life though. Its night and day different than the stock one is. I think Sinister diesel does just about the same thing that bulletprrof does.
I chose not to delete mine simply because I did not want to have to tune it to run without it. I dont want a tuner on it period! I need reliability, not performance.
Ken

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I put a bulletproof cooler on my truck and they are kinda pricy. They do guarantee that it will not fail again for life though. Its night and day different than the stock one is. I think Sinister diesel does just about the same thing that bulletprrof does.
I chose not to delete mine simply because I did not want to have to tune it to run without it. I dont want a tuner on it period! I need reliability, not performance.
Ken

You know, I was reading a thread on FTE last night about this same thing. I agree with You I do not want a tune to increase power either I want it reliable and everyone of the tunes to delete the EGR on the PCM also increases power, yet they still seem to have problems with the rest of the vehicle functioning as it should if You unplug the EGR and us their tunes.
I found kits to delete the EGR from sinister and RCD, they both look about the same but they are about $100 apart.

I was also considering while I'm doing the EGR delete, to replace the oil cooler and screen as well, not sure where they are exactly but apparently it will be easier to access it when I'm doing the EGR.

Thanks.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
You know, I was reading a thread on FTE last night about this same thing. I agree with You I do not want a tune to increase power either I want it reliable and everyone of the tunes to delete the EGR on the PCM also increases power, yet they still seem to have problems with the rest of the vehicle functioning as it should if You unplug the EGR and us their tunes.
I found kits to delete the EGR from sinister and RCD, they both look about the same but they are about $100 apart.

I was also considering while I'm doing the EGR delete, to replace the oil cooler and screen as well, not sure where they are exactly but apparently it will be easier to access it when I'm doing the EGR.

Thanks.

You really really REALLY should change the cooler at the same time. The stock oil cooler is usually responsible for stock EGR cooler failure. The coolant goes through the oil cooler to get to the EGR cooler. When the oil cooler starts to clog up it starves the EGR cooler of antrifreeze. The EGR cooler will then melt and start dumping whatever antifreeze it does get into the intake. You can figure out the rest from there, not to mention the lack of cooling for the engine oil as well.
The oil cooler lives in a really weird looking square housing directly under the oil filter. Just to change the EGR cooler you have to remove everything but the oil cooler. You are not going that much further to change it at that point. If you are going to do this I recomend that you go to Ford and get all the gaskets and o-rings. Theres gonna be a lot of them! Also, make sure you get the coolant hose that goes from the oil cooler housing to the EGR cooler. Its a short little thing that you will kill yourself over if you have to change it later. Also, not a bad idea to change the IPR screen and o-rings while the turbo is off and you can actually see it.
Ken

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, it is welcome. I'll be ordering this kit soon, looks like it has everything I should need while digging parts in that are of the engine. I want this baby to be reliable.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
That looks like a nice kit. It even comes with the STC fitting repair kit. Thats another job you really should do while the whole top of the motor is off. If you get that kit you need nothing else but time, patience and fluids.
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calroc