eBay pop testers

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
question i have is, whats the thread size on out injectors?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My local injection shop said they are m-12 inverted flare.

That has not been verified by me in any way, because I can't find any information on inverted flare sizes.

Edit: don't think it is inverted flare.

Not sure what it is though.

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about building one but for that price... dont see the point. Lol

As far as injector thread size goes, it would probably be best to just cut up a stock feed line and connect it to the tester using compression or swagelok fittings rated for the pressure.

Thanks for the link!

maverick350

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would buy one to try at that price. The seller is out of stock, comparably priced ebay offerings are cast aluminum. Cast iron versions like this are 140+ from what I have found. I am skeptical of the aluminum housing.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those pop testers. It seems to work just fine. I balanced a set of injectors with it and haven't had any problems. Also tested a friends set of injectors. I was able to do all the different injector tests no problem. Works as any pop tester would I suppose, but I don't have any experience with others. I'm happy with it!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For testing our injectors, it would be wise to change the gauge to a 3000# or 5000#, might be a little more accurate. I use a HF 5000#, has a + - 1 % accuracy.

Our injector lines have what I'd call a bullet nose, the nose is formed as part of the line, it is neither a flare or inverted flare, I've never seen the description of it.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it definitely could use a different gauge with smaller increments. And the one it comes with is also not oil filled. It did come with the right adapter line for our injectors.
I wouldn't use this tester to run a business or anything, but it's good enough for a DIY gear head like me that likes to tinker a bit. Also nice to be able to test your own injectors if there's any question as to their condition, or if you 'think' one might be bad you can just pull it and know for sure instead of scratching your head.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While where at it discussing pop testers, just about any pop tester is OK as long as it will pump up to the desired pressure and not have any leaks.

To check an injector, pump it up to make it pop, adjust if needed to the 1850 or +, make it pop, record pop pressure, pump up second time to within 100#, hold for 10 seconds, if a fuel bubble appears and just hangs there for that amount of time it's a good one.

As precision ground the seat and plunger is a small leak (bubble) is of no consequence as fast as an injector in the engine running pops.

I don't pay much attention to the spray pattern, because an IDI sprays into the precup where it hits metal and disperses, unlike a DI engine where the spray pattern is of consequence, of course the finer dispersed spray the better it is. Everything happens in a matter of microseconds @ 1800 RPM. LOL

Take notice, NO spark plugs. :rotflmao

Attachments

• 4-cycle diesel.jpg
    4-cycle diesel.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 72

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I build my own pop tester (thread here in the last couple of weeks). The injector is a metric 12 x 1.5mm pitch off-the-shelf at your local hydraulics shop. If you find my thread there is also a link to an older thread (of mine) with more info. Easy peasy to get a fitting for that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7