DTI Tech Time on the way!

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
This is going to be the first time I have ever successsfully timed one of these Pumps,one more question. I think I know the anwser. I take it you want an engine that is warmed up , so high idle / timming advance is off ? I cant recall if this was allready mentioned.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
I recieved my timing light today , has no instructions . The two red buttons on the Timing light are for adjusting the timing while in use so you can see how far your off 8.5 deg. ? Also the instruction say no offset required when useing Light, when I turn my unit on its at 20 offset . Do I need to adjust this to 0 before using the Strob Light or does this happen on its own when youn plug in the Strob Light ? Last thing should it be in High or Low trigger point with the Strob Light. Thanks for your help.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
First off, there's a setting on the meter itself that lets you choose between probe, light, and something else. Set that at light. You will be pulling the trigger to start the light flashing and you point it at the timing marks on the pointer and the balancer. Then, with the engine at 2000 RPM, you use the buttons on the light (assuming that you have the DTI light) to "move" the line on the balancer. When it is in line with the line on the pointer, you can let the engine go back to an idle and look at the readout on the meter. That will give you your current timing setting. You will use that number and nothing else. If your timing isn't where you want it to be, shut off the engine and rotate the IP to get it where you want the timing to be set at. Simple as that.
I don't think that the high or low trigger points matter with the light. You won't have to worry about that.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
Yes , I bought the DTI light , I thought there might be a Deg. read out on the Light it self . Looking forward to trying this out , thanks so much for very clear instruction.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Nothing on the light. It's all on the meter. Once you actually use it, it's really simple.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my DTI today as well. Will have to get the light later. For the time being, how do I use the probe? Where is this probe supposed to be placed? I hear a damper hole but have no idea what or where that is

Never-Have-I-Ether

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Got my DTI today as well. Will have to get the light later. For the time being, how do I use the probe? Where is this probe supposed to be placed? I hear a damper hole but have no idea what or where that is

Never-Have-I-Ether
Neverhave,

Start here, if you still have questions post and we can help from there.

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neverhave,

Start here, if you still have questions post and we can help from there.

Read that already, again no specification on what this damper is. That's what I would like to know, pictures would be great I'm pretty visual.

Never-Have-I-Ether

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Read that already, again no specification on what this damper is. That's what I would like to know, pictures would be great I'm pretty visual.
Here you go. The damper is the harmonic balancer. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. You can see the timing "pointer" above the balancer. There's two holes in it. You use the "upper" hole to place the probe in. It's the one with the smooth looking outside to it. If you look very closely in these pictures, there's a line and a 0 next to the lower hole. That is the wrong one to use since the proper one is offset 20* from 0. I hope this helps. This is right underneath the alternator.

Attachments

• 101_2063.JPG
    101_2063.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 101_2064.JPG
    101_2064.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 18

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go. The damper is the harmonic balancer. Here's a couple of pictures of mine. You can see the timing "pointer" above the balancer. There's two holes in it. You use the "upper" hole to place the probe in. It's the one with the smooth looking outside to it. If you look very closely in these pictures, there's a line and a 0 next to the lower hole. That is the wrong one to use since the proper one is offset 20* from 0. I hope this helps. This is right underneath the alternator.
Thanks that's exactly what I needed. I know for a fact mine is full of gunk. I'll have to clean it out and proceed from there.

Never-Have-I-Ether

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Question:
Couple-3 yrs back I stripped threads on my #1 injector line timing adapter.....the about
1 1/2" long thingie that goes between #1 injector & #1 injector line. I just bent #1 injector line a bit till I got it to fit & thread onto #1 injector. I know #1 injector line in a bit shorter than the rest of the lines.
But I wonder how much it's throwing things off??
Haven't had time etc to find another one, but I need to.
Been too busy trying to get my 40x64 shop built, 3 nasty back surgeries in last 3 yrs, lost a son last yr that threw us off big time, etc. etc.
Anybody out there got one they don't need that I might be able to buy??
Let me know or PM me, ok?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I know for a fact mine is full of gunk. I'll have to clean it out and proceed from there.
When you clean it out, be careful. Use a 5/16" (I think) drill bit by hand only. If you get aggressive while cleaning out the hole, you can make it too big and then the probe won't stay in place. I'm not 100% positive on the drill bit size. I also think that you want the clearance of about a business card between the probe and the balancer. I'm not certain on the drill bit size and the clearance because I've never used the probe for timing.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Question:
Couple-3 yrs back I stripped threads on my #1 injector line timing adapter.....the about
1 1/2" long thingie that goes between #1 injector & #1 injector line. I just bent #1 injector line a bit till I got it to fit & thread onto #1 injector. I know #1 injector line in a bit shorter than the rest of the lines.
But I wonder how much it's throwing things off??
Haven't had time etc to find another one, but I need to.
Been too busy trying to get my 40x64 shop built, 3 nasty back surgeries in last 3 yrs, lost a son last yr that threw us off big time, etc. etc.
Anybody out there got one they don't need that I might be able to buy??
Let me know or PM me, ok?
1) We discussed in another thread. It potentially will change the timing slightly (1 or 2*) only on cyl #1 but no one has tested. Some replace it and some use a line from a 6.9. Sorry I do not have a spare to offer. Type4 said not enough to notice it.
2) So sorry for your loss.
3) Hopefully you have recovered from your back surgeries.

BTW if you have a timing device it would be a great experiment to get a timing reading as is and after you put the adapter back in. Then let the membership know how many degrees it actually changed.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
1) We discussed in another thread. It potentially will change the timing slightly (1 or 2*) only on cyl #1 but no one has tested. Some replace it and some use a line from a 6.9. Sorry I do not have a spare to offer. Type4 said not enough to notice it.
2) So sorry for your loss.
3) Hopefully you have recovered from your back surgeries.

BTW if you have a timing device it would be a great experiment to get a timing reading as is and after you put the adapter back in. Then let the membership know how many degrees it actually changed.
Yeah I need to get with Russ anyway bout some other stuff. I'll ask him if he got one. Just plain busy! This '90 with this '94 factory turbo (Russ's rebuilt my turbo) engine runs AWESOME!
Got one those Timing set-ups off EBay last yr but haven't had time to learn how to use it yet. Get shop finished & learn how to time, then I'll sign up on Timing Registry.
Thanks about our loss Bart. Carol & I nearly been like couple zombies for a yr. Been thinking I can finally go up into Lounge & finally talk about it. May do it in a night or so.
Back surgeries.... L3, L4, L5, thankfully no fusions....DON"T GET OLD!! LOL Or at least don't get banged up! LOL