Ebay find, IDI Ambulance for sale, clean

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG drop the auto, install a 5sp and tcase and D60 and instant expedition vehicle with a few interior mods....Woot!

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it was all done at the factory. Probably not the Ford factory but there are several companies that build ambulance and fire trucks from base trucks. I drove one alot like this one 48 hours a week for a few years several years back. It was a 4x4 and the color scheme was a little different but was the same year model. We treated that thing like hell and it never failed!

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Uncle bought that same type one hear in Vegas about five years ago for 2500 bucks. They spent 2 years turning it into a mobile coffee and smoothie business.
They call it "espresso to the rescue"
I would prefer one with the van front end over the truck nose but at least the truck type is easier to service.

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our local bar bought our old squad. got rid of the 6.9idi squad when we bought a PSD squad, so we kept the 7.3idi and use it as our "fire" squad. has a few extra scba setups and such, but is still a fully functioning squad.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Not that clean. Has rust on both front fenders.

just because it has "only" 52,000 miles doesnt mean JACK. How many hours is on it, is the important question

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, brad knows what he's talkin about. those ******** sit and idle for HOURS sometimes. and typically its never a "ooo rescue call, lets let the truck warm up before hammering the throttle to get there" nope, its a jump it, start up and GO.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That unit looks like its hardly been used. Our early psd trucks are trashed yet alone idi trucks.

LSOSGT1109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that clean. Has rust on both front fenders.

just because it has "only" 52,000 miles doesnt mean JACK. How many hours is on it, is the important question

That is a very good point Brad! Years ago when I drove ambulances they may not have had very many miles but they probably had a zillion hours on them. We pretty much always left them running, especially if it was cold outside. We also treated them really rough. I remember one rig in particular. It was an F700 if I remember right. It was probably an early 80's model that was bought used from another city. It was also a death trap, couldn't stop it in a quarter of a mile and couldn't hold it in the road! We tried like hell to tear that thing up. Many times I remember adding several gallons of water to the fuel tanks! LOL. That damn thing just kept running though.