E4OD Upgrade

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Question:

Bauman Computer suggested for an E4OD upgrade, from a C6. That requires the VSS and probably other input. What I'd like an educated opinion on: If I use the MANUAL valve body,do I even need the Computer or speed sensor? I have a manual valve body in my C6 right now, and I decide the shift. Once I became used to it, I have really been able to drive to load and RPMs with better results. So....I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Personally, the only two upgrades I would ever consider for a C6, are an OD.

or preferably a ZF5.

Especially if you're running a manual valve body already. A ZF conversion is going to run you less money, be much easier, and you will end up with a much stronger trans. (unless you REALLY want to spend the 5k on a BUILT E4OD)

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
i cant stand the c6.. my short experience with a e4od has been good. i love the TPS compared to the vacuum modulated C6. zf5 is king to me but some people refuse to row gears (anymore) so i think the ford e4od is the best bet over a (727 46rh 47rh 47re 48re( (th400 th700r4 th400 4l80e 4l60e

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no manual valve body made for the E4OD, none whatsoever - if it existed chances are I'd be running it already. This is why if I ever get around to dropping a Fummins in place of the IDI, it will be w/ a GM adapter and a 4L80E trans - those have manual valve bodies made for them, and vacuum and even cable-controlled line pressure regulators too - Ford's E4OD gets nothing like that, you're stuck w/ computer controls whether you like it or not.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
there are reliable controllers.... if a e4od can work on a idi it cant be that hard to wire up. pure mechanical engines. sensors and fine tuning is required. tach. vss. tps.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know they are good controllers. I'm simply against running a computer where it is not needed, and a mechanical engine IMHO don't need an electronic trans behind it. Personal preference of course - I like automatics, but don't necessarily like it when they shift themselves. Like w/ that upshift into 3rd and nearly immediate converter lock at like 25 mph...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
your right about the faster 2 to 3 shift. i love how the TC locks up at 25. helps with in town driving. my TPS right now it set at 1.2 LOW and 3.95 HIGH. i like the higher low setting. keeps the trans from shifting so fast.

also if your going to have a automatic you might as well have a computer to run it instead of "pressure and gov speed" i feel old 3spd autos do not work well with diesels. ive owned 6.2 th400 6.9 C6 and 5.9 727 trucks although my 727 TC was very tight compared to a 46rh

I know they are good controllers. I'm simply against running a computer where it is not needed, and a mechanical engine IMHO don't need an electronic trans behind it. Personal preference of course - I like automatics, but don't necessarily like it when they shift themselves. Like w/ that upshift into 3rd and nearly immediate converter lock at like 25 mph...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online