E4OD Trans Service

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Ok-- Pulled the speedo unit from the t-case. Speedo gear had an odd wear pattern. Got the trusty flex mirror out and lo and behold the speedo drive gear is worn completely out. Cant even see how it worked at all. So before I celebrate I am off to get a new drive gear and correctly calibrated speedo gear. Good thing it is easy to change. Wish me luck.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Its Fixed. Many thanks to all that chimed in on this one. ;Sweet :thumbsup: :hail Mont91 and Tuckerd1 you guys have a beer coming. 1/2 hour labor and 11 bucks and its a done deal. Course thats not counting the hours screwing around with a new TPS, checking all the other sensors etc. But now I know much more about this truck. I should have gussed it. I knew I need to get to the speedo but did not make the connection with the trans problem. I thought the wire there were for the cruise control ( which does not work either) so was putting that one off till later. Several years ago I bought a 7000 dollar snap on scanner and all the cartridges (it never paid for itself) and it really never solved any problems. Seemed all the drivability problems I ran into back then were basic mechanical failures which I could have run the seat of the pants or the in the gut diagnostic machine on and it would have been quicker. Seems every time I get to working on a computer vehicle I allways start looking for computer related failures (sensors and such) when most of the time its mechanical. There is no smiley face chasing his tail or I would use it here. Any way thanks a million guys. You all are great. Merry Christmas and Happy Hollidays. Magoo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magoo said:
Its Fixed. Many thanks to all that chimed in on this one. ;Sweet :thumbsup: :hail Mont91 and Tuckerd1 you guys have a beer coming. 1/2 hour labor and 11 bucks and its a done deal. Course thats not counting the hours screwing around with a new TPS, checking all the other sensors etc. But now I know much more about this truck. I should have gussed it. I knew I need to get to the speedo but did not make the connection with the trans problem. I thought the wire there were for the cruise control ( which does not work either) so was putting that one off till later. Several years ago I bought a 7000 dollar snap on scanner and all the cartridges (it never paid for itself) and it really never solved any problems. Seemed all the drivability problems I ran into back then were basic mechanical failures which I could have run the seat of the pants or the in the gut diagnostic machine on and it would have been quicker. Seems every time I get to working on a computer vehicle I allways start looking for computer related failures (sensors and such) when most of the time its mechanical. There is no smiley face chasing his tail or I would use it here. Any way thanks a million guys. You all are great. Merry Christmas and Happy Hollidays. Magoo
magoo-
better check you oil level in the transfer case too. only reason why these gears commit suicide is from low oil.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Magoo, is it shifting better now?

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
So Magoo, is it shifting better now?

Yes it is. See my public thanks in the "Problem Solved" post . I should of titled it Thanks Oilburners but I got carried away in the excitement of the moment. Maybe I can keep whats left of the hair. (till the next adventure anyway). Thanks again

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh, I missed that thread. Thanks for pointing me towards it. Glad you got your problem fixed. Despite the nay-sayers, the E4OD is a good tranny.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Despite the nay-sayers, the E4OD is a good tranny.

I have 187000 miles on mine. Many miles towing 12-15K. It is still going strong. I plan to install a BTS valve body this winter for the Hypermax turbo install I am FINALLY going to get around to doing.

Other than the BTS valve body, I plan to run the hell out of it until it :puke:'s

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Magoo,

I assume your speedo quit bouncing? ( I'm refering to the one in your dash :eek: :rotflmao ) That little gear in the TC can cause some problems if it's not in good shape. At least it was an easy and cheap fix and you got to spend some "quality time" with your truck. I had that with my cruise control. Checked every thing I could and then found out it was the master cylinder pressure switch was bad. Now I've got some type of thumping sound coming from the cab when drivng on rough roads. Probably not a big issue but driving me nuts!

ramon f350

Reaction score
Trout
I had that same thumping sounds and i cahsed it all over the front of my truck I thought it was radius arm bushing or something like that and it actually wound up being wheel bearings somehow i had thrown the dust cap off of the wheel and slung out quite a bit of grease. repacked the bearings and the sound stopped. hopefully that is what yours is and will be an easy fix

Ramon

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Perhaps I better get that checked. But the sound happens with the front hubs locked or unlocked. Does that make any difference? It really sounds like something banging against the cab and only on rougher roads not smooth highway.

ramon f350

Reaction score
I dont know if the hubs being locked or unlocked would have anything to do with it but it might be something to check out and see if that is it mine only did it on rough roads as well or if I hit a good chug hole. mine sounded like it was right under the passengers feet alot of the times. for a couple days I thought that there was a branch or something stuck up there banging around. to me its just so easy to pull of the fronts and repack them that it is worth it just to be safe and in the end if it wasnt that at least you did some good maintence

Ramon

Last edited: