E4OD Trans Service

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Ok now I am starting to get a little annoyed :mad: -cuss :backoff -cuss :mad: -cuss with the quirks of this trans. Supposed to be brand new. Have tried every thing. Fluid looks clean on the stick but now i am thinking I better pull the pan to see if there may be a problem. Other than clutch material or metal I was wondering if there is anything else in side that would cause this radical shifting issue. Also any one know roughly how much fluid these monsters hold? It has a pretty big pan. Thanks Magoo

ajd257

Reaction score
Sorry, I must have missed a previous post. What is the tranny doing?

pafixitman

Reaction score
Off the top of my head it is around 10 - 11 qts. I buy a case when I service the tranny.

Safe to assume you have gone thru the normal trouble spots and all is well?

People complain about these trannys, but I have a 15K B&M plate style cooler, remote filter and other than a small leak at the dip stick tube (after the turbo install I pinched the o-ring) and a leak at the out put shaft seal, mine has been fine.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have you checked the big plug on the passengers side of the trannynear the the tail?when i blew the tranny in the 95 i found that plug was full of green corosion.i cleaned it up and the tranny got me by till the new one got here.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Symptoms might help. Tranny shifts up and down quickly at 30 to 35 which is my cruising speed around here. I have to slow down or speed up to get it to stop shifting. It feels like it is going in and out of over drive and it is in ou in out non stop and never stays in any gear at that speed range. ( the spedo is off 25% so actual speed is 37 to 43). Yesterday towing my car trailer which is maybe 2000 lbs the symptom was spread over a larger speed range. It was in and out from 30 to 45 which is 37 to 55. Normally I turn off the over drive and it stops but that did not help with the towing yesterday. I have only had the truck since October. Previous owner claims it is the third tranny. Said he pull an excavator every day and it burned up 2 trannys then he had this one custom built for towing. Said it has the best torque convertor he could buy, a special valve body, trick clutch pack, yada yada. Claims he put 4k into the tranny. Course I have seen no reciepts but I did call the parts house he said the parts came from and they confirmed he bought all that stuff. They did say after it was built a "sprauge"? gear broke or something so he had it redone. He neglected to tell me that. Any way the trans does look new, it has the pan drain in it which will help service, but I have a bad feeling. Also it too has an external filter and a big cooler. I have a hydrulic tester and was looking for info on how to test the trans that way. We had a F 800 4x with an Allison that acted goofey and the trans guy put the psi tester on it and new right away what the problem was which wasnt much. I called them and they just do heavy equipment. So. Any one have a good 5 speed and flywheel they want to sell reasonable?

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Tach Sensor. Ok I will give it a try. I did replace the TPS or FIPL as some call it and it made a minor improvement. I have a snap on scanner and it still reads that the TPS sensor is out of range. I use my Fluke meter and it is exactly where it is supposed to be. I have even tried randomly moving the sensor to see about improved shifts. No luck. Now the link about the Tach sensor said speedo. My speedo jumps all over the place. I am not aware that the computer has a sensor that reads the speedo unless it is in side on the speedo gear. Speedo is on the t case is it not? I better look more closely. I will try all that today. Check resistance at the tach. Thanks for the tips. I love this truck but the trans is starting to rub me a bit. I drive water tenders most all summer on fires and by the end of summer I never want to shift again so I bought the automatic. Thought it would be simpler.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
something to add on that FIPL or TPS.
i bought a new one from ford,the gray one which is suppposed to be the better and updated sensor,installed it and set it with my DVOM to the correct specs,truck still shifted real jerky. -cuss
took that sensor back to ford and swapped it for another one,this one was black,installed it and set to specs,all is well.(so far) ;Sweet

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I treading into enemy territory here but........... If your speedo is jumping that indicates a bad (or dirty) VSS, and I know the IDI's had the VSS but I am not sure what years? Check the pumpkin on the rear end, the VSS can pick up metallic shavings if your rear end fluid is dirty and cause a jumpy speedo wich messes with the E4OD's brains.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
I know I treading into enemy territory here but........... If your speedo is jumping that indicates a bad (or dirty) VSS, and I know the IDI's had the VSS but I am not sure what years? Check the pumpkin on the rear end, the VSS can pick up metallic shavings if your rear end fluid is dirty and cause a jumpy speedo wich messes with the E4OD's brains.

What is the VSS? I thought these trucks just had the standard speedo drive and cable. I ended up working all day so never did get to look or play with the Tach sensor. Working tommorow too so may have to put it off a bit. Soon as I look I will post what I find. Thanks for the tips. Starting to pull whats left of my hair out. You guys are great.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
update

Looked things over last night. Tach sensor had no sign of damage and read 26 and change. The rear abs sensor was also clean as was the fluid. one of the wire had 5 volts to it but went away when I pluged it in. I asume this is normal because of the magnetic field. Speedo drive does have an electrical connection back at the t case. Any one know what that needs for voltage and or resistance reading?

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I'm way out of my area here, but aren't speedo corrections necessary when you put larger/smaller tires on these trucks with the electronic sensors involved. The mech.speedo can be corrected but if the sensors are not calibrated to the different tire sizes???

Look here >>>SPEEDO CORRECTION

Yall dont hang me here. Just a WAG on my part.

Don

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"91s have a cable and a VSS combined into one unit on the transfer case or tranny tail. There should be a wire plugged in with the cable at the transfer case. On this year model the sensor on the rear end is for the rear anti lock only. If the speedo is that far off it will cause the PCM(powertrain control module) to be confused because the readings from the RPM sensor, FIPL and VSS will not match its programing. It will not understand how the vehicle speed signal can be what it is when the RPM sencsor says the engine is turning that speed and the tranny is in that gear. So it hunts.

Magoo

Blind Brain Surgeon
Reaction score
Mont91 said:
"91s have a cable and a VSS combined into one unit on the transfer case or tranny tail. There should be a wire plugged in with the cable at the transfer case. On this year model the sensor on the rear end is for the rear anti lock only. If the speedo is that far off it will cause the PCM(powertrain control module) to be confused because the readings from the RPM sensor, FIPL and VSS will not match its programing. It will not understand how the vehicle speed signal can be what it is when the RPM sencsor says the engine is turning that speed and the tranny is in that gear. So it hunts.

That makes sense. Everything else seems to be checking out. The speedo bounce I have narrowed down to the speedometer itself. Fixed an exaust leak at the turbo and now I can hear the gauge and cable. Sounds like it is rounded out inside. I saw the connection at the speedo for electrical but thought it was for the cruise control. Next step I will get the speedo recalibrated and replace the odometer and hope for the best.

WAGs are much appreciated right now. I am allways a bit reluctant to admit I spent 30 years working in a shop. I will admit I dont have much expierence with auto trans. Buit a C6 for myself once. And the computer stuff is outer realms for me. There are a few things I know and even more I dont. Just to prove I am not a complete idiot I will have my wife put a couple pics in for me. Its the last truck I built. (used to build fire trucks)

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I did a little more research and....

The PSOM and the Engine RPM Sensor are both used in the 93-94 models. Not sure about 91. But if you think about these two devices calculating different speeds due to other than stock tire sizes, then you can see where they could be sending different signals to the PCM and trying to adjust pressure and shift points, thus causing quite a bit of confusion in the PCM.

Programmable Speedometer/Odometer Module ()
The PSOM receives a speed signal from the Rear Anti-Lock Brake Sensor (RABS) and, using a programmed conversion constant, converts it to the standard 8000 pulses per mile vehicle speed signal. The PCM uses this speed signal and other inputs to determine the proper transmission line pressure, shift scheduling, and converter clutch control.

Engine RPM Sensor (Diesel Only)
The frequency of this signal is used to calculate engine speed which is combined with other sensor inputs to determine proper shift scheduling, capacity and Torque Converter Clutch.