e4od to c6

1992f250idi

Reaction score
hello,
well i think im just about done with this dumb e4od transmission, i found a cheap used diesel C6 and was wondering how hard of a conversion it would be. i believe my 1356 transfer case would bolt up, im not sure about driveshaft length. also, how hard is it to plumb the vacuum modulator? i know im sacrificing overdrive, but i cant get the e4od to operate and the cheapest i can get away with a zf5 swap is about a grand, so im thinking C6 with an overdrive unit added at some point.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive shafts on front and rear will have to be changed (rear needs to be lengthened, front shortened)

Transfer case will bolt up.

Vacuum system isn't hard to install but you will need to pull it off a donor truck. Not sure if a VRV is still available new (VRV is basically a vacuum operated throttle position sensor).

If you haven't tried this already, try driving around with the overdrive locked out to get an idea for how the truck will feel with a C6. If you never have to go above 55 MPH you will probably be fine but if you live in areas with freeway speed zones I would strongly advise against a C6 swap considering your 4.10 gears. Just my $0.02

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I was gonna say you'll love the C6 if you don't care for OD. But I just realized by reading Davids post, you have 4.10 gears.

Might wanna re-think your idea. You say you want to put an OD unit witch is great, but for that, I'd go with the ZF5 before a C6 with OD unit.

Just my opinion on it.

My ZF5 with 4.10 revs 2100RPM @ 60MPH.

C6 with 3.55 revs somewhere inbetween 2000-2500RPM @ 60MPH.

Just to give you an idea.....