E4OD Died: Suddenly No Propulsion

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Roger that, OLDBULL8! Will call the shop first thing Monday to absolutely add this kit. TYVM

Trackspeeder: hoping that is part of the updates they're including, but will make sure, as long as I'm stopping them to get the Tugger kit.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Of course, they were nearly done with my trans when I called. :eek:

Svc mgr said that (the Tugger kit) was not appropriate to the light use I described to them (which is true... light-running City Boy over here!) He said that kit would cause harsh shifting when not under heavy loads, to the point that the transmission can damage itself?

Meanwhile, the center support update was done, so he says.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Svc mgr said that (the Tugger kit) was not appropriate to the light use I described to them (which is true... light-running City Boy over here!) He said that kit would cause harsh shifting when not under heavy loads, to the point that the transmission can damage itself?

I just ordered a TransGo Tugger kit to install in my truck. I don't tow a lot, but I bought it mainly to make the trans live longer. I would expect the kit to make the trans shift firmer, but that should be better for it, right? I wouldn't think it would do damage to the trans. Haven't installed it yet - I'll be watching this and see what the resident trans experts have to say about the service managers comments.:popcorn

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Of course, they were nearly done with my trans when I called. :eek:

Meanwhile, the center support update was done, so he says.

Tugger would have been fine. The secret is not to hog out the holes. Start small then test drive. To soft, drill the holes bigger.:D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I just ordered a TransGo Tugger kit to install in my truck. I don't tow a lot, but I bought it mainly to make the trans live longer. I would expect the kit to make the trans shift firmer, but that should be better for it, right? I wouldn't think it would do damage to the trans. Haven't installed it yet - I'll be watching this and see what the resident trans experts have to say about the service managers comments.:popcorn

Yes firmer is better. Firming up the shift reduces slippage. Less heat, less wear on the frictions.

Any shift kit can do damage. In this case with a Tugger kit. If you over drill the holes, or set the accumulator springs to tight. This will cause harsh shifts. Harsh shifts will break parts or your neck which ever comes first.;p

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Tugger would have been fine. The secret is not to hog out the holes. Start small then test drive. To soft, drill the holes bigger.:D

Well, I keep learning, trackspeeder. Of course, the trans shop is about 15 miles from the van, so your method (trial-and-error drilling) sounds great, but not happening this time around. Their build was completed Monday. Would need to bring my van to one of you transmission geniuses for that personal degree of attention.

For now, I'm trusting that this quality stock build (with upgraded converter) will hold up to my rather mild usage. An ISSPRO trans temp gauge will be my first project, after I'm up and running again (probably early March, still have to pull engine and head, chuffing valve......., hellish work schedule)

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Visited the trans shop today. They immediately handed me 2 cans of aerosol flush for the cooler and metal lines, since some metal got into the system from the converter...... since I'm changing the trans's bypass filter, too, I will cut it open and report on that to y'all.

Meanwhile, I met the builder, who hauled out the bucket-o-parts. Ugh! Said he wasn't a fan of the previous rebuilder, ATO. Despite the old snapring and aluminum planetary, the center-support update had been done on the old build!?

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

BTW, green converter and bellhousing at right are from a different teardown about to start.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The old style center shaft has been obsolete for awhile now. So its very possible the previous rebuilder updated it. it could have been worn or damaged. If it was, you have to replace it, or rob one from another junker and hope it survives.:eek:

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Ooooof, it's threads like these that make my cringe everytime I put my E4OD in Drive every day.....

Mine you I have a spare 4x4 C6 I can throw in my F350 is ever my E4OD dies, cause I sures hell ain't having it rebuilt.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ooooof, it's threads like these that make my cringe everytime I put my E4OD in Drive every day.....

Mine you I have a spare 4x4 C6 I can throw in my F350 is ever my E4OD dies, cause I sures hell ain't having it rebuilt.

E4's are not that bad. With a few fixes, they're great.:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An E4OD can be built unbreakable. My BTS E4OD is warranted for this.. Any hp.. Any torque.. No questions asked. Now thats saying plenty. Things cost but when you don't have breakdown worries you live a better road life.