E4OD Died: Suddenly No Propulsion

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Red left turn light. Came to stop. Light green, applied power. No go. Engine revs, not moving. :mad:

Trans is an "ATS" rebuild, about 50K on it, if the P.O. is to be believed. :confused:

Our fleet guy says may be planetary gear failure, though it'll need to be opened up. Perhaps not upgraded to steel when rebuilt? :eek:

Appreciate any input here. Was about to pull engine anyway. Trans easy to drop, at that point! :dunno

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be a warranty from ATS on that puppy. I believe its a 5 yr unlimited mileage?? Dont quote me on that though. Question is, is it your ATS rebuild that you put in? I dont know how helpful theyd be in tracking the warranty down for it if you didnt. Maybe theres a serial or build number on it that my help you out. As for the no go problem sounds like a possible pump failure not allowing fluid to the converter or a failed input clutch.

Merlin

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Nope, no paperwork, Merlin. And I've had this beast for over 4 years, so 5 years has likely passed. I believe the PO's claim that it sat for many months before I bought it. Due to numerous issues, I've only driven it about 30 K in those 4 years.

The trans was one of the few things that worked well, so I just gave it service about every 10K, and had my mechanic add a bypass filter.

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats sucky about the paperwork man. I was never a fan of more filters in a transmission circuit. A filter is a restriction even when its new and thats no place where you want restrictions. Servicing every 10k is a good idea...about the same thing i do which is a pan drop and filter every summer. Then i just filter and dump the old fluid right in my tank :). Free fuel woohoo!!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Almost wondering if the bypass filter would contribute to a pump failure?

BTW, I intended for the bypass filter to go onto the engine. My surprise when my then-mechanic installed it on the trans. I wasn't clear. Sheesh.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by a bypass filter on the tranny? You can put a filter in the line going to the radiator cooler or aux. cooler, that is a normal installation. Did you by chance check the fluid level? To checkout the pump, you can take the front line off the side of the tranny, put a hose on it into a bucket, start the engine for a few seconds, if you have flow, the pump is good. Put a gauge in the test port, with engine idleing. What pressure do you see? When you stopped, did you take it out of gear? Did you try any other gear to get going?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I wonder if the mlps on the lever has failed or the wires to the trans have an issue. The main harness plug is on the passenger side of the trans behind an exhaust heat shield. That shield MUST BE THERE or the exhaust line heat will melt the wires and the plug.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
ATS Another Transmission Shot.:eek:

Well the bad news. It has to be pulled. Could be a broken input shaft. Broken drum or planetary. Those give you the instant tranny death.

Pump and converter will usually give you a warning before they quit. Low line pressure (low pressure rise) and a can of marbles sound from the converter.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the reason I only buy and drive stick shift stuff. At least until those are impossible to find but until then I'll be rowing my own gears. Auto's are nice but I've had a terrible track record with them myself.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Whoa! Thx for all the feedback, fellas!

What do you mean by a bypass filter on the tranny? You can put a filter in the line going to the radiator cooler or aux. cooler, that is a normal installation

No clue how this thing's plumbed, OLDBULL. Will investigate and post pics tomorrow.

Did you by chance check the fluid level?

Should have done that, OLDBULL, but haven't yet. Also on tomorrow's list.

When you stopped, did you take it out of gear? Did you try any other gear to get going?

No forward or reverse gear functioned. Shut off engine and restarted, thinking perhaps a reboot was in order. No go, literally.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what happened to my E4DOA from the last suicide. i don't remember which drum this was, but it was ugly. I wasn't even thrashing on it. just an easy accel onto the freeway and then BANG! coast to the side and wait for a bigger towtruck to tow a towtruck:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• SL374744.JPG
    SL374744.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 31
  • SL374743.JPG
    SL374743.JPG
    296.6 KB · Views: 31