E4OD Died: Suddenly No Propulsion

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Oh, hell, Calvin! Not what I wanted to see.....

Yeah, I get it: Could be anything from a bad wire to a broken major assembly. :dunno

If it's not the simple stuff, I'll haul the trans to a qualified person.... not pulling that cover myself!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, hell, Calvin! Not what I wanted to see.....

Yeah, I get it: Could be anything from a bad wire to a broken major assembly. :dunno

If it's not the simple stuff, I'll haul the trans to a qualified person.... not pulling that cover myself!
i was getting eaten alive by E4DOA failures to the point where I bought into a transmission shop so I could stem the amount of spending I was doing on E4DOA. These tranmissions are the bane with towtrucks no matter how well built they are.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is what happened to my E4DOA from the last suicide. i don't remember which drum this was, but it was ugly. I wasn't even thrashing on it. just an easy accel onto the freeway and then BANG! coast to the side and wait for a bigger towtruck to tow a towtruck:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Pretty sure I've got one of those, if ya need it will sell for cheap. Check tomorrow for sure. Thats the part where the snap ring pops out, then from there who knows what can happen.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I've got one of those, if ya need it will sell for cheap. Check tomorrow for sure. Thats the part where the snap ring pops out, then from there who knows what can happen.
the pic on the left is the replacement part. i'm back on the road already. thanks tho.;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, hell Cal didn't know you where referring to your self, I was/is referring to IDI econline if he needs one.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Thanks, OLDBULL, I'm not that far yet! Will at least have some basic pics of the external views by tomorrow. Would like to confirm that the bypass filter is plumbed in a harmless way.

And, if you weren't like 150 miles away, Calvin, I'd gladly bring my DOA to your shop.

Meanwhile, the co-manager of the fleet mechanic shop we use has a fair amount of trans shop experience. Have known him for many years, and talk with him several times a week. Will run it over to him, if it needs to be opened, and I expect it will.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
this is what happened to my E4DOA from the last suicide. i don't remember which drum this was, but it was ugly. I wasn't even thrashing on it. just an easy accel onto the freeway and then BANG! coast to the side and wait for a bigger towtruck to tow a towtruck:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Late style center shaft and OD drum.

This is what happens with a poorly supported center support. Under load the center of the tranny is drifting around. Once the support moves it will bind up and break.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
OK, pics, anyone? Bypass filter does appear to be plumbed into the cooler return line, am I right?

You must be registered for see images attach

Heat shield is there, after all. Don't remember seeing it before. Question: wiring going down to its plug wiggles freely when moved?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
For the record, about all I'll be able to do before C-mas is to check the fluid level.

Did that today. Fluid level actually a bit overfilled. No burn smell, nice red color.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
For the record, about all I'll be able to do before C-mas is to check the fluid level.

Did that today. Fluid level actually a bit overfilled. No burn smell, nice red color.

Nice red fluid means something broke quickly, but you already know that.

Depending on what failed you might, or might not find any junk in the pan. Pull the pan and have a look.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Will do, Trackspeeder. Still need to do a compression test to nail down the chuffing exhaust valve, so will do that before draining the trans.

On my 10K trans-service interval, it was just about due, anyway. Gotz new filter & fluid standing by for a while now.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
OK, reviving the thread. Trans coming down today, at last. Finally have time to get my beast apart. Clean pan, no chunks!

Why, yes, that's my baldish head.......

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
OK, took a couple more days than I expected to get her out. :Whatever:

Rebuilder is a NorCali place that's been around for years.

For you guys who actually came back to my thread, thought I'd share this moment with ya....... LOLLOLLOL

Wheels of HF trans jack sunk into soil, trans slid forward. But this whole production actually is the most fun I've had in a very long time!

(Engine out next..... chuffing valve :frustrate )

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
I was in error in earlier posts when I said this was rebuilt by ATS.

ATO has been around since the 70s, one location. Don't know them at all.

No scary rattles from the torque converter, BTW. Off to a professional. If Towcat wasn't so dang far away.......