E40D question

jlwoods99

Reaction score
I was checking my U joints and the tail shaft out of the tranny seemed like it had alot of movement to me. Should there be any noticeable movement in it or not. 2 whl drive.

Thanks

Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please explain what movement you are seeing. The joints will be firm and no movement but the yuke will have some in and out movement because of the shaft angle movement. It should not have any side to side movement. That means the sleeve bearing is bad or the yoke is bad or both are bad.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Gary, its got side to side movement, and quite a bit. Way more than I'd thought should be. So is this something that I can pull off the back or do I need to pull the trans.

Thanks
Jim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok.. On a 2 wdr E4OD trans you can remove the tail shaft and have the sleeve bearing replaced with the seal. Any trans shop has the press and tools for that. I'm sure they will want to see the slip yoke on the front drive shaft too. It might be the problem. If its fine then all you need is the bearing and seal. A wag for cost is around $25.00. Some trand fluid will spill out the back of the trans when the tail shaft is removed so be ready for that. It will help to lift the rear of the truck so not much drains out. The trans will need to be supported because the rear mount is part of the tail shaft. There is a gasket between the tail section and the main trans body case so replace that too. Do not use any rtv or any other kind of sealant. Any sealant that gets loose in the trans fluid can plug up fluid passages in the trans. Thats a mess in the making too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726