e40d nothing fwd or rwd

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
this is my service truck im talking about here ok here it goes
i know an auto doesnt even belong in an f-450 that weights in at 11500lbs
its been having problems of stalling out coming to a stop like its loading up in all the gears its been intermitent
when i was pulling out on to the highway from home depot today i lost all my fwd gears and reverse the fluid is full and doesnt smell burn its red as the day it was put in
i did get blinking on the od button but i dont have a computer to put it on and see that might happen tomrrow im going to talk to my nieghbor who was an ford dealer tech

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres a long list of possibilities. None of them could be brought on my a computer or wiring problem. Reverse is not controlled by the PCM at all, so its either a valve body problem or an actual internal mechanical failure.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
betcha you blew up your convertor.
stalling when pulling up to a stop is the convertor not unlocking.
no foward or reverse and the fluid doesn't smell burnt rules out clutches and the reverse rules out electronics. A blown planetary will lock up the entire trans. what you're describing is more of the line of a stator that blew
up.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with towcat, I just didn't want to say it. Most converters blow at low speed just puttering around a parking lot. Its VERY common with E4ODs and even the later 4R100s. If this happened, the whole tranny will need to be completely torn down to every last bushing and valve because debris from the blades could have been pumped through the entire transmission.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could also be a frt drive pump. first thing to do is unhook one of your tranny cooler lines and then start it. if it pumps out fluid its a bad converter, if it doesnt pump any fluid out then its the frt drive pump.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock for stock I would say the ZF is stronger, but you might want to put a SMF in there if you switch to the 5 speed.

The E4OD can be made stronger than the ZF with the right parts, but it really depends on what you would rather have and how much you want to spend. I would opt for a built up E4OD but thats just my preference since I'm more familiar with the E4OD. I would never advise a stock E4OD in something that heavy though.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Stock for stock I would say the ZF is stronger, but you might want to put a SMF in there if you switch to the 5 speed.

The E4OD can be made stronger than the ZF with the right parts, but it really depends on what you would rather have and how much you want to spend. I would opt for a built up E4OD but thats just my preference since I'm more familiar with the E4OD. I would never advise a stock E4OD in something that heavy though.

the nice thing its not my moeny ;Sweet
i dont know but trying to convince the boss thats the biggest thing

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never advise a stock E4OD in something that heavy though.

i got 6 years outta mine in an f450.and i only changed the fluid and filter once.yes i said once in 6 years.when it was a wrecker it wieghed in at 13,000 empty then add the wieght of whatever i was towing.and i have been known to put trucks that were bigger than mine on the back of it many times.i cut it in half and turned it into a car carrier.it now wieghs 9200 empty.i have gone over the scales many times loaded wieghing in over 16,000 pounds :D :eek: ive gone in over 19,000 a few times.

and i beat the snot outta that truck!im talking hold it on the floor up to over 100MPH on the highway multiple times.running around town like it was a race car.rushing around trying to get as many cars moved as i can in a day going double hooked with trucks vans,whatever,i dont care what it is.if itll go on my bed or my stinger it goes with me dont care what it wieghs.i know what the truck can handle and what it cant.2 full size vans at 95 MPH on the highway cant be good for it :eek: .

when it finally went i lost all forward gears but if i held it to the floor it would move.would back up like hell though.could go anywhere in reverse if i wanted to go backwards all the time.had it rebuilt and had nothing but problems.stalling at stops cuz the converter would lock up.not shifting,shifting erratic,shifting too hard,shifting too late or too quick.i had that e4od in and out so many times i can do it in my sleep.i finally got fed up and did a 5 speed swap.got lucky and we trespass towed an f250 with a 7.3 in it that had a new SMF and clutch set,tranny and most of the pieces i needed.i had alot of what i needed and had to hunt for a couple things.

if you do a 5 speed swap you need a zf from either another f450 or from a 4wd f250,f350.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well guys it was the torque converter swaped one in that we had from the doner engine truck so thanks to all of you guys :hail:hail:hail:hail:hail

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys it was the torque converter swaped one in that we had from the doner engine truck so thanks to all of you guys :hail:hail:hail:hail:hail

Wait, all you did was swap the torque converter and it works?:eek: I wouldn't take any long trips for a little while. Stay close to home base until you are sure its reliable. There could be debris in there some where.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
yes i know i flushed out the trans cooler lines dropped the pan changed the fluid and filter
the ****** thing is that the truck has to be opperational at all times what would you i posted a nother thread to see what can be done to this trans to make it relabable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel