E40D in Maine, USA

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, I think I found an E4OD in Pensacola (40miles away, 2000miles from you) for $100. I gotta go look at it. It doesn't have a flex plate, but I have a c6 plate, just curious while the subject was being discussed.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't think so. The c6 is a thicker cast iron looking plate, whereas the E4od looks like a traditional one, just a stamped sheet of metal. Least that's what the E4od in the in-laws truck looked like, and the c6 I just installed....
That sounds like the ones that I can remember too.
It doesn't have a flex plate, but I have a c6 plate, just curious while the subject was being discussed.
You can still buy new flex plates for N/A applications, but not for Factory Turbo ones. At least you could before this current craziness started.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the ones that I can remember too.

You can still buy new flex plates for N/A applications, but not for Factory Turbo ones. At least you could before this current craziness started.
The plate for a factory turbo is different than a n/a? Seriously?

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plate for a factory turbo is different than a n/a? Seriously?
The flywheel for a manual trans, as well as the harmonic balancer are also different for the factory turbo motors. You can bolt the v-belt crank pulley onto a turbo balancer though.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a C6 Flexplate on mine, so yes, it can be done. The bolt circle and offset are the same.

E4ODs up to 1991 also use the heavy cast iron C6 style, 2-piece setup. Then they switched over to a simplified and lighter combined flywheel/flexplate for 1992 and up.

For the driveshafts, you may be able to simply find them in a wrecker or donor truck, since you aren't actually changing to some new exotic size. The size you would need was mass produced for the E4OD trucks.

Having a trans shop do the swap would cost more than a regular transmission install. The cross member has to move back (ideally replaced as well, to the later E4OD style) and that will require drilling on the frame. They may not want to do this, for liability reasons. I also cut and extended the shift rod from my old C6 transmission but you can probably get the correct parts from another E4OD donor.

Plan on about $600 for a new controller and harness from US Shift, unless you luck out and find a used setup. Some have even made the OEM setup work in an older truck. This might be cheaper if you can find a donor, but will get complicated if you can't get everything to work perfectly.

Like I said, it won't be cheap. But with inflation driving the cost of everything up, neither will diesel fuel... :frustrate

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online