E40D in Maine, USA

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've heard they make standalone controllers for them to swap em

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cubey spent all that money having his C6 rebuilt, could have swapped this in. This and his GV could get some good mileage.
Too bad it is on the other side of the world though.

Goat

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Cubey spent all that money having his C6 rebuilt, could have swapped this in. This and his GV could get some good mileage.
Too bad it is on the other side of the world though.

Goat

I thought heavily about going to E4OD but the GVOD really turns the C6 into a 6 speed, and can easily be moved to another vehicle solo

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need to modify your driveshafts as well since the E4OD is much longer. Having swapped to an E4OD many years ago, I'd say its worth it. having lockup and a 0.71 ratio overdrive turns the truck into a completely different animal.

I would still go through the transmission and verify all the good updates were done though. So while it's a worthy upgrade, it's almost never going to be cheap. And yes, you still need a standalone controller with harness.

BTW, I just picked up a spare 4R100 recently for 300CAD. Supposedly it works, but I'll still be overhauling and having a spare when the time comes in another 10-15 years. I really don't like 3-speeds and open converters!LOL

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any guestimates of cost for the controller plus having a tranny shop do the whole install (including shaft mods)? assuming the E40D checks out at the shop to be good

Last edited:

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The controller is around $500, you could get a phone estimate on transmission r&r and driveshaft.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I don't think so. The c6 is a thicker cast iron looking plate, whereas the E4od looks like a traditional one, just a stamped sheet of metal. Least that's what the E4od in the in-laws truck looked like, and the c6 I just installed....