E-Bay Turbo

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a full set of pipes for a pulse turbo up for sale, might be what you need.
Jay

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got the turbo today, Good deal but it still has issues. The compressor wheel has a chip taken out of it, Looks like something got sucked in the intake. Bearings are tight (no play) But there was a film of motor oil inside the compressor housing? The guy "Says" That he had it rebuilt but is looks to me like a very sub standard rebuild. Dunno What do you guys think.:dunno

Attachments

• white truck 052.jpg
    white truck 052.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 8
  • white truck 053.jpg
    white truck 053.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 6
  • white truck 054.jpg
    white truck 054.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 5

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel is trashed, of course, and if you are taking that off you might as well look at/ replace the bearings and seals while you are there.
Jay

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I would say you need a new compressor wheel. Russ knows alot about turbo's, maybe he will chime in about what is up.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheel is trashed, of course, and if you are taking that off you might as well look at/ replace the bearings and seals while you are there.
Jay

I would say this advice is right on the money. If the turbo has the build plate on it getting the correct parts is easy. Nice. And thanks for the pictures.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you guys want to see a really f'ed up wheel, this is what my turbo looked like after it crapped out on me...

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah it pushed 2.5psi going up a hill at 60mph at WOT LOL . Engine sludge is what caused my turbo to fail.....always clear the port your getting your oil from before hooking up that oil line ;Sweet .

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
NO! A 6.9 glow plug system is much easier to work with when putting a turbo on. You don't really need to touch it.

I don't know Mel, seems he has put several trucks together into one. If he is using the 89 or 94 wiring and glow plug system on his 84 6.9, he may have to relocate for turbo clearance. You might be more familiar with the truck than I am, just unsure what might be bolted on it.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it pushed 2.5psi going up a hill at 60mph at WOT LOL . Engine sludge is what caused my turbo to fail.....always clear the port your getting your oil from before hooking up that oil line ;Sweet .

How would you guys suggest to clear the oil port, Hook up the oil line and let a quart or so of oil go through while running?:confused:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
WOW Justin, I dont think I've EVER seen one that bad before. Atleast not without having a nut or bolt go through it. There's a good reason to leave the screen over the intake!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Brad,
Do you have your engine out right now? If its possible for you to get to your oil cooler, then have it tapped at the filter outlet housing.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would take like a bore cleaner thing, basically a rod with a bunch of bristles on it I cant really think of what they are called at the moment. Then some have suggested spraying WD40 in there, others say use diesel or kerosene, and then use the bore cleaner and clean it all out. Then you could start the truck up and let some oil come out just for safe measure to get out all the little things that you pushed into the engine when you used the bore cleaner.

When I did mine I was amazed at how dirty it was. I couldnt really see how dirty it was, but on the first pass the bore cleaner took me a good 10 minutes to wrigle out of the hole. Then it got easier and easier.