E-Bay Turbo

FordGuy100

Reaction score
WOW Justin, I dont think I've EVER seen one that bad before. Atleast not without having a nut or bolt go through it. There's a good reason to leave the screen over the intake!

Yeah there is, it caught alot of the wheel metal that was trying to make its way into the engine. I'm sure some got through, but it caught a couple really big pieces from going through ;Sweet .

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brad,
Do you have your engine out right now? If its possible for you to get to your oil cooler, then have it tapped at the filter outlet housing.

No, the engine is still in the truck. I thought I seen an oil port already on the oil cooler. Maybe not. So do you not recommend using the oil sending unit hole?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
If there's a hole already tapped in the cooler then use that. From what I've learned from my turbocharged eclipse is that the oil at the top of any engine is the dirtiest, because its ran through the whole engine already. Even though it seems like all manufacturers like using a port at the top of any factory turbocharged engine. With most gas vehicles there are not any ports available for use at the filter housing, so you have to use a sort of sandwich plate that threads on between the filter and the housing. This plate will have 3 or 4 ports in it that you can now use to run all sorts of stuff. But I havent found one big enough to use on our trucks yet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ats takes the oil off the block at the last plug in the galley, this is where Justins turbo got dirty. .I would not use the sending unit hole unless it is a turbo block with 1/4 pipe size, not enough flow. If you use the oil galley brakekleen and a bore brush and clean till you get nothing out but pretty oil , then change oil and filter before startup, that is one messed up wheel, what type turbo is it?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a hypermax pulse. I kind of think it was starved of oil, It had an alumnium oil flange with a fitting on it and the hole for the oil flow wasnt any bigger than 1/8". The turbo itself is threaded for 1/4" NPT, so I am going to use that.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 1/8" oil port is big enough for your turbo. The feed line is often hooked to a 1/8" port on the back of the motor. In many cases an oil restrictor is used on a turbo to prevent excesive oil backing up around the bearings and coming through the seals. You shouldn't have a problem with a 1/8" port.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4, can you describe for me which plug ATS uses? I am hooking up my turbo and if there is a better location than the pressure port I will use it, I don't like the sender location very much and I am using different plumbing anyway..
JwS

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is at the rear of the block right behind the oil filter, it is a small square head plug just in front of the bellhousing adapter plate. That is the passage that needs to be cleaned, it is what ATS uses. The sending unit hole is the very last place to get oil and that is why they up sized it on the turbo block. I want my turbo to have more available than that.

It is where the orange cap is in this pic

Attachments

• Picture 057.jpg
    Picture 057.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 19

suv7734

Reaction score
That's a neat pic Russ, I never noticed the oil cooler actually sat at an angle.
Here's a pic of the port 'in use'

Attachments

• oilport.JPG
    oilport.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 5

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is at the rear of the block right behind the oil filter, it is a small square head plug just in front of the bellhousing adapter plate. That is the passage that needs to be cleaned, it is what ATS uses. The sending unit hole is the very last place to get oil and that is why they up sized it on the turbo block. I want my turbo to have more available than that.

It is where the orange cap is in this pic

How long dose the oil feed line need to be and also how much pressure dose this port produce as I don't want to blow seals.

I am going to have to do a hurry up install as I may have to go to UP State New York next week for work (pipeline).

JIM

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Banks I know uses the main galley plug down on the bell housing area, and Hypermax and I believe the factory ATS use the top of the block. There is a third spot you can use which is on the same longitude as the first port mentioned, and if you look at the FS-2500 install pics in my Moose Truck album you will see it. However, that one would require the longest hose of all. Jim, in your case I would use some steel brake line material and some compression fittings and fab it up yourself. You'll need to make a T for the oil presure sender, or relocated to one of the other ports mentioned. The line only needs to be as long as needed to go from one spot to the other. The length really isn't an issue. I doubt the oil at the top of the block is dirtier than anywhere else. If you look at the oil distribution diagram in the book, that port gets fresh oil from the main galley just like the bearings do.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Hypermax this morning and I can get a new compressor wheel for $65, and I figure while I am at it I might as well put new bearings and seals in it. The bearings seem tight but I have no Idea what the history on this thing is so I thought it would be smart for "Piece of mind". Another question, are the downpipes differant depending on what transmission you have? I am thinking about upgrading to the 3.5" Downpipe right now also. Thoughts?:rolleyes:

greg_a_morton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its funny how you get different prices. I have found a turbo but it needs to be rebuilt. its a hypermax turbo. I called this morn and they quoted me $65 for rebuild kit, $86 for inlet wheel and $180 for exhaust. makes me wonder if we call and tell them they quoted us a given price and get for that price?

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its funny how you get different prices. I have found a turbo but it needs to be rebuilt. its a hypermax turbo. I called this morn and they quoted me $65 for rebuild kit, $86 for inlet wheel and $180 for exhaust. makes me wonder if we call and tell them they quoted us a given price and get for that price?

Thats odd, I Wonder if they misunderstood one of us as far as what we where looking for?:dunno