dynomax exhaust report

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I ordered the manifold back kit from summit racing and got it installed.first off it was a simple kit to install. The y pipe is 2 1/4 inch pipe into a 3 inch that runs until the cab then it steps up to 4 inch muffler and comes out into a 4 inch tail pipe with a 5 inch tip. It sounds awesome but after taking a 600 mile trip for Christmas I decided that its to loud at highway speed. I thought you'll would like to know this information

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is good info thankyou for the post! Sometimes its tough to tell how good something sounds, and if it will still sound as good after you listen to it for 4 hours straight.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree lol. I've been thinking a 50 series flowmaster might be better something that mellows down while going down the highway. I'm not knocking the kit it good just loud lol

evilplan

Reaction score
I have the same kit on my rig and it has a nice mellow sound, not obnoxious but you can tell its not a stock exhaust!

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing adapted onto my Bank turbo'ed 6.9. The turbo quiets things a lot but even so, I think it's too noisy. It had a nasty drone and about 35 mph for me. Oddly, that drone almost went away after Mel timed the truck at 9.5 vs the 7.5 is was before.

Anyway, try a different, larger muffler if it really gets to you.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Since were talking exhaust and not to hijake the thred has anyone tried a 4" straight pipe exhaust from the manifolds back on a 6.9 N/A engnie?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh? Can't hear you.. my ears are ringing from that straight pipe. ( : < )

A straight 4-inch pipe would REALLY be loud. Might get away with it on a turbo truck. NA.. I shudder. There would be no power benefit of a 3-inch mufflered system or even a good 2.5 inch with mandril bends and a better Y-pipe.